Search Query please help

• hello everyone,

I am trying to develop a search query where a user has the option of passing search  parameters. He  has the options of passing  1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 parameters. The store procedure I have developed is as follows

CREATE Procedure PolicyProceduresSearch

(

@SearchTitle nvarchar(255),

@SearchPolicyNumber  nvarchar(255),

@SearchDate  nvarchar(255),

@SearchSummary nvarchar(255),

@SearchBody  nvarchar(255)

)

AS

SELECT

PolicyProcedureID,

IDNumber,

Title,

DateUpdated,

Author,

ExecutiveSummary,

Body,

SupportingDocuments,

Comment,

PolicyNumber ,

PolicyProcedureType,

PolicyProcedureStatusDescription,

PolicyDepartName,

ReviewerName   

FROM

PolicyProcedures

WHERE 

Title  LIKE  @SearchTitle + '%'

OR

DateUpdated LIKE  @SearchDate + '%'

OR

Author  LIKE  @SearchTitle + '%'

OR

ExecutiveSummary  LIKE  @SearchSummary + '%'

OR

PolicyNumber  LIKE  @SearchPolicyNumber + '%'

GO

However the store procedure is making me enter 5 parameters otherwise it does not work. The user has 5 text boxes and he has the option of entering  2 or 3 parameters or 1 parameter.

How do I modify the store procedure so that the user can enter  2 or 3 or 1 parameter and get the output.

Please guide.

kapil

• At minimum, you need to set a default value like this:

@SearchTitle nvarchar(255) = NULL,

• Use this methodology, and so long as the optionals are null, your good....

SELECT

PolicyProcedureID,

IDNumber,

Title,

DateUpdated,

Author,

ExecutiveSummary,

Body,

SupportingDocuments,

Comment,

PolicyNumber ,

PolicyProcedureType,

PolicyProcedureStatusDescription,

PolicyDepartName,

ReviewerName   

FROM

PolicyProcedures

WHERE 

Title  LIKE  ISNULL(@SearchTitle+ '%', Title)

AND    DateUpdated LIKE  ISNULL(@SearchDate+ '%', DateUpdated)

AND   Author  LIKE  ISNULL(@SearchTitle+ '%', Author) 

etc...

This also takes the null concatenates to null to be in effect....but I am sure you can see that.....The calls can also handle combinations as well, but always needs all the params to be passed, even if they are null

• Hi Kapil,

you didn't mention what is this search about and what the result should be. I see you are using OR in your WHERE clause. In an example with books that means, if the user enters both Title and Author, it will not display this particular book, but all books of this author and also all books of other authors that contain the Title search string in title.

Is this what you want? Generally, multiple search conditions are used to narrow down the result, while you are expanding it with every condition the user enters. Also, if you really want to do this, how will you treat the fact that one of the parameters was not entered? I suppose this was a mistake in procedure you posted, and it should be (as Scorpion already posted) "AND" instead of "OR". Could you please confirm that or explain how the search should work?

There is another way how to write the query (it also requires the NULL value to be passed when parameter is not entered):

WHERE 

(Title  LIKE  @SearchTitle+ '%' OR @SearchTitle IS NULL)

AND   (Author  LIKE  @SearchAuthor + '%' OR  @SearchAuthor IS NULL)

AND (DateUpdated = @SearchDate OR @SearchDate IS NULL)

As you see, the OR condition in parentheses makes sure that if you don't enter anything in one of the parameters (parameter IS NULL), the respective condition does not filter anything out. I have changed the SQL a bit, since I don't think it is wise to search for a date using LIKE. Also, be careful with dates and test the parameter on validity before you pass it to the procedure.

HTH, Vladan

• Check this page out, it directly addresses what you are looking to do. http://www.sommarskog.se/dyn-search.html

This will even allow you the option of passing in say, parameters 1 and 3 or only param 5, etc.

This guy's site is AWESOME for examples of ways to do things, you should check out some of the other things he has up there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply