Scanning the LAN for SQL servers

• LS,

I was asked to scan the LAN for SQL servers to find all SQL servers in and out of our maintenace scoop.

I have tried 'SQLCMD -L' but this methode just gave me 10 pct of all servers in scoop....

I also tried Pingsql3cl but this methode is just scanning but gave me no results whatsoever....

-- SQLPing3cl.exe -scantype range -startIP 100.100.101.0 -EndIP 100.100.101.254 -Output results.csv

Is there a way to scan the LAN which is working ???

Please help me out on this....

Regards,

GKramer

The Netherlands

• I have used Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit before where it gives you information on your estate, including your SQL Servers. Thought about trying this?

• BL0B_EATER,

I was not aware of this MAP toolkit....

I just installed version 9 and my first scan is running.... hope this will do the trick.

Guus

• mmmmmmm

The first scan ran for several hours ending up crashing my PC......(with no results).

Retrying the same settings || Collect inventory data - IP-range - add credentials - with the same DB as the first run || is ending in a blanco data-collection screen (Machines inventoried - Collections remaining).

What I'm I doing wrong here.....

Regards, GKramer

• I've only done it using Active Directory rather than an IP range but when I got that screen it took a while for any numbers to appear. Have you clicked on Details at the bottom?

• The machine performing the scan with sqlcmd or sqlping must have network connectivity to all network segments to discover all SQL servers

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Beatrix Kiddo (4/8/2016)

I've only done it using Active Directory

Ooooooo.... I'd love to see that! Got any code you could share? And, no... it doesn't have to be T-SQL.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Oh no, sorry to get your hopes up, I think I phrased it badly. I used the Active Directory settings in the MAP toolkit (rather than scanning an IP range). Sorry about that.

• IIRC, I used this once upon a time

http://sqlmag.com/sql-server-2000/sqlping

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply