Sample database design, development, test and deployment for an online student class.

• Hi,Can any one please explain me or give me a good in-detail explanation that how to

1-

Design, develop, test and deploy a database for an online student class.

I knows upto some extent but i would like to go step by step.

2-

Also please i need some common question/answers for that topic for interview preparation.

Thanks

• Would you like fries with that?

This editorial from yesterday may be of interest. http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Editorial/70267/

We're happy to help, but not to do the entire job for you. In addition, this kinda looks a bit like homework or a test. Is it?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • If you know a bit, post what you know, or what you'd do, and then what you are confused about. As Gail mentioned, we don't do the work for you if you won't make any effort.

Common interview questions? Anything could be asked. Answer what you know about SQL and do so honestly. If you want general questions for prep, use these: http://www.wisebread.com/how-to-answer-23-of-the-most-common-interview-questions

• I am sorry If i have asked more than i should.I just want a step by step documentation to how to design and develop database.I know i will have to make relationship for that kind of student database.There gonna be different tables like student,courses,faculty,grade,address and i have to create all those separate tables and may be some tables will be broken into small tables to normalize the table and make relationship between them with primary and foreign keys,use the key columns for joining like student id etc.

But i never did that from scratch.

I am doing other administration day by day work like backups,restore,table creating,table modification,data updation,insert,delete,sql sever installation,upgrading to sql2005,schema comparison,data transfer,user creating,granting and revoking rights to users.checking lockings,blocking,indexes creating and re-indexing etc etc.DR,reports,standby server etc.Sorry to give you whole detail but just wanted to tell you little bit about my level so that you can me having my level in your mind.

Thanks

• I am still smiling with your comments.............Would you like fries with that?

:)))

Thanks and i dont mind because you were right 🙂

• If you create/modify tables but you don't know how to design a database I'd expect there is someone in your team doing the design job. Maybe you should ask that person why he designed a table or a table relationship the way he/she did. Learning based on the data you deal with on a daily base, told by the person who designed it is one of the very best tutoring options (assuming acceptable tutoring skills of the "designer/tutor", of course 😉 ).

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• What you're asking for is a lot of work. There isn't really a simple step by step guide to do this as it's a complex endeavor. I have some links you can use to get started:

- http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/70199/

- http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/2053/

- http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/1815/

- http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61489/

• The other alternative is to, you know, take the class you're referencing, do the homework, read the lectures, and I'll bet they'll teach you how to do that. As Lutz mentioned, if you can get help on data that you work on and are familiar with, it'll be easier.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Irfan-358189 (5/14/2010)

I am sorry If i have asked more than i should.I just want a step by step documentation to how to design and develop database.I know i will have to make relationship for that kind of student database.There gonna be different tables like student,courses,faculty,grade,address and i have to create all those separate tables and may be some tables will be broken into small tables to normalize the table and make relationship between them with primary and foreign keys,use the key columns for joining like student id etc.

But i never did that from scratch.

I am doing other administration day by day work like backups,restore,table creating,table modification,data updation,insert,delete,sql sever installation,upgrading to sql2005,schema comparison,data transfer,user creating,granting and revoking rights to users.checking lockings,blocking,indexes creating and re-indexing etc etc.DR,reports,standby server etc.Sorry to give you whole detail but just wanted to tell you little bit about my level so that you can me having my level in your mind.

Thanks

Step-by-Step instructions are included in Books Online (the help system that comes with SQL Server) under the index lookup of "designing databases [SQL Server]". It comes with Ketchup for your fries. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/14/2010)

If you know a bit, post what you know, or what you'd do, and then what you are confused about. As Gail mentioned, we don't do the work for you if you won't make any effort.

Common interview questions? Anything could be asked. Answer what you know about SQL and do so honestly. If you want general questions for prep, use these: http://www.wisebread.com/how-to-answer-23-of-the-most-common-interview-questions

Heh... my second favorite interview question... "What have you done that's actually been a benefit to the company you worked for and why isn't it on your resume?" 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Irfan-358189 (5/14/2010)

I am sorry If i have asked more than i should.I just want a step by step documentation to how to design and develop database.

A step-by-step document? There are entire books on that subject. I think you underestimate what you're asking here. May I suggest Louis Davidson's book "Pro SQL Server 2008 Relational Database Design and Implementation" It's a decent coverage of DB design, from logical through to physical implementation.

Again I'm going to ask, is this a homework assignment or a test, because that's what it looks like.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster,Thanks for your answers and answere for your question that is this a homework?

No,it is not home work,actually i am going to start another job/project and in that coming project i heard from my client that they need a guy who is good in queries and reports because it is a online student database.I am not sure if i will have to build the relations tables for that online student database or i will have to only query the data with joins and generate reports,if only quering the data and generating the reports then i will be fine but i they ask me to create database then i would need the very clear concept to how to create relations between tables etc.

Thanks

Irfan

• I suggest you make it clear to them that you are not familiar with database design and that your skills are around the writing of queries.

If they ask you to design the DB, it's more, a hell of a lot more, than just relationships between the tables. There's the identification of entities, the creation of a logical design, the normalisation process, the translation of the logical design to a physical design (including appropriate data types) and then the implementation.

To give you an idea, that book which I recommended is 680 pages solely on database design. It's not something you can pick up in 5 minutes, it's not something that you can jump in and do correctly with no background and no experience.

Gail Shaw

• You are right GailMonster,I should,t go for this project if i dont have rigt hands on experience.

as a question is this part comes in DBAs responsibilities or in Developers responsibilities?

Thanks

Irfan

• It could be DBAs or developers. There's no definite way to define this, however it should be someone that understands how to do it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply