Rules Table

• Hi,

I am currently creating a rules table in our database that will decide what delivery fee a customer's order will incur based on the total of their order.

Rules are as follows:

1. If the Total Order Value is under $50 then delivery fee is $10

2. If the Total Order Value is between $50 and $60 then the delivery fee is whatever the difference is to bring the Total Order +fee to $60. So if the Order Total is $57 then the delivery fee is $3.

I am setting up my rules table as follows based on the http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa964135(d=printer,v=sql.90).aspx, Building a Rule Engine with SQL Server article.

If at all possible I dont want any logic at the front end - I want my rules table to control everything.

My table row for the first rule has no issues:

ID,Min,Max,Fee

(1,0,50.00,10)

But I do not know how to return the delivery fee for the second rule. My table row would be

ID,Min,Max,Fee

(2,50.00,60.00,XX.XX)

where XX.XX is the the difference between the Order Total and the $60.00. So if My Order Total was $56.50 XX.XX would be $60-$56.60=$3.40

Any one any ideas?? Not sure if it will be possible....

Thanks in advance,

JK

• I did actually work some logic into the code and it is OK

SELECT CASE

WHEN wff.ID = 1 THEN

wff.Result

WHEN wff.ID = 2 THEN

Condition3 - @OrderTotal

END As DeliveryFee

FROM wff

WHERE @OrderTotal > cast(Condition2 as money) AND @OrderTotal < cast(Condition3 as money)

• So what happens with JayK's solution when there is a third rule?

I would do it like this:

DECLARE @r TABLE

(ID INT, [Min] MONEY, [MAX] MONEY, Fee MONEY)

INSERT INTO @r

SELECT 1 As ID, 0 AS [Min], 50 AS [Max], 10 As Fee

UNION ALL SELECT 2, 50, 60, NULL

UNION ALL SELECT 3, 60, 100, NULL-- Third rule breaks JayK's proposed solution

UNION ALL SELECT 3, 100, 9999, 0-- What about orders over the last rule?

DECLARE @o TABLE (OrderAmt MONEY)

INSERT INTO @o

SELECT 45 AS OrderAmt

UNION ALL SELECT 56.60

UNION ALL SELECT 75.00

UNION ALL SELECT 101.00

SELECT OrderAmt

,(SELECT TOP 1 CASE WHEN Fee IS NULL THEN [Max] - o.OrderAmt ELSE Fee END

FROM @r r WHERE o.OrderAmt > [Min]

ORDER BY [Max] DESC) AS Fee

FROM @o o

Sorry but I don't have time at the moment to read your article so I'm not sure if my suggestion to use NULL instead of XX.XX to indicate the placeholder for calculating the fee off the OrderAmt breaks the rules it establishes for your rules table (:-)), but doing so certainly does avoid the use of CAST/CONVERT (even implicitly).

Alternative to NULL you could use a fee of -1, -2, -3, etc. to specify other calculations of the fee.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• Seems a bit of an over complication to me.

--Sample data

DECLARE @orders TABLE (OrderID INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY, OrderAmt MONEY);

INSERT INTO @orders

SELECT OrderAmt

FROM (VALUES(45),(56.60),(75.00),(101.00))a(OrderAmt);

--Query

SELECT OrderID, OrderAmt, fee, OrderAmt + fee AS total

FROM @orders

CROSS APPLY (SELECT CASE WHEN OrderAmt < 50 THEN 10

WHEN OrderAmt >= 50 AND OrderAmt < 60 THEN 60 - OrderAmt

ELSE 0 END) b(fee);

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Complicated? You haven't seen complicated until you also introduce effective dates for the rules.

I actually support an application that has a similar look up approach to calculating a charge. And if you don't use effective dates, it means any change to the rules will be effective immediately. So if a wholesale change has to be made across a wide variety of customer accounts (yes it varies by customer account also), those changes must all be uploaded the morning that they're effective, presumably after testing in a test system first.

With effective dates, you can update your rules table ahead of time and be ready for that change when it occurs without a last minute scramble to get everything right (woe be upon you if you get it wrong and customers receive incorrect invoices).

But then, that is the whole point of creating a rules table. Flexibility... which introduces complications.

Speaking as a long-time developer that is.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• Just playing with it a bit, including an effective date.

DECLARE @Shipping AS TABLE (Minimum money null, Maximum money, ShippingCost money, UseDeminshingCalc bit, DateEffective datetime)

INSERT INTO @Shipping VALUES (0.00,60.00,10.00,1,'20120101'),(0.00,80.00,5.00,0,'20100101'),(0.00,100.00,5.00,1,'20070101')

DECLARE @orders TABLE (OrderID INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY, OrderAmt MONEY, OrderDate datetime);

INSERT INTO @orders

SELECT OrderAmt, OrderDate

FROM (VALUES(45, '20080430'),(56.60, '20110528'),(56.90, getdate()),(75.00, getdate()),(101.00, getdate()))a(OrderAmt,OrderDate);

SELECT

CAST((CASE WHEN S.ShippingCost IS NULL THEN 0.00

WHEN S.UseDeminshingCalc = 0 THEN S.ShippingCost

ELSE (CASE WHEN (S.Maximum - O.OrderAmt) > S.ShippingCost THEN S.ShippingCost ELSE (S.Maximum - O.OrderAmt) END)

END) AS money) ShippingCost

FROM

@orders O

LEFT JOIN

@Shipping S

ON

(SELECT Max(M.DateEffective) FROM @Shipping M WHERE M.DateEffective <= O.OrderDate) = S.DateEffective AND

O.OrderAmt BETWEEN S.Minimum AND S.Maximum

• Hi all - Thanks so much for taking the time to reply - been very helpfl. Ive been playing around with Antares686's solution today and it works like a charm!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply