restore database failed because database size would exceed your licensed limit of 4096 MB

• Dear Sir,

I am in big trouble I am using SQL Server Express Edition Version 9.00.3042.00

When I am restoring my database size approx 6GB then giving below the message as

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: CREATE DATABASE or ALTER DATABASE failed because the resulting cumulative database size would exceed your licensed limit of 4096 MB per database. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.Smo)

If it's not possible in this edition then what edition I should be used for big database size.

so, How to restore please help

Thanking You

Debasis Bag

• SQL Express 2005 has a hard limit of 4GB. No way around that.

You can get SQL Express 2008 R2, which has a 10GB limit, but be aware that if you restore a database to that it will become a SQL 2008 R2 database and there will be no way to get it back to SQL 2005.

Otherwise you'll have to buy one of the licensed versions of SQL. If this is for development only (not a production server), then you can buy a copy of developer edition, which is very cheap.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • deba_20032004 (1/3/2011)

Dear Sir,

I am in big trouble I am using SQL Server Express Edition Version 9.00.3042.00

When I am restoring my database size approx 6GB then giving below the message as

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: CREATE DATABASE or ALTER DATABASE failed because the resulting cumulative database size would exceed your licensed limit of 4096 MB per database. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.Smo)

If it's not possible in this edition then what edition I should be used for big database size.

so, How to restore please help

Thanking You

Debasis Bag

I have to ask... was the backup created by SQL Server Express or some other version?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Any edition other than Express can restore this.

Be aware if you change versions, as Gail mentioned, you cannot go back to the old version after the restore. You can, however, restore the same backup multiple times to multiple instances.

• When you restore a database from 2005 into SQL 2008 R2, it should leave it in 2005 compatibility mode. As long as you leave it in 2005 compatibility mode, it will act like you are using a SQL 2005 instance, but SHOULD let you have 10gb size.

I have not tested this particular situation, and would be very interested to see what the outcome is.

Bob

• rhlangley (1/4/2011)

When you restore a database from 2005 into SQL 2008 R2, it should leave it in 2005 compatibility mode. As long as you leave it in 2005 compatibility mode, it will act like you are using a SQL 2005 instance, but SHOULD let you have 10gb size.

It will behave like a 2005 database and will allow the full 10GB, but it will still be a 2008 R2 database and as such will not be restorable to a lower version (2005 or 2008). Putting the DB onto 2008 R2 is a one-way move.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Gail is correct. While it will "act" like a 2005 database, the physical structure changes, and the 2008R2 engine runs against it. The code in interpreted as though it were 2005 (things like keywords), but it cannot be backed up/detached and moved to 2005.

• System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: CREATE DATABASE or ALTER DATABASE failed because the resulting cumulative database size would exceed your licensed limit of 10420 MB per database. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.Smo)

Same error occurs for me

Help me we have sql server 2008 R2 while restore a DB error occurs, whats the solution?

• SQL Express 2008 R2 has a 10GB limit. If your DB is larger than that you'll need to buy a licensed version of a higher edition.

Gail Shaw

• Thanks Gil....

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply