Replication Statement Delivery Options - Part 2

• Good article.  Can someone explain to me how the bitmap is created when an update takes place?  I can envision using this technique in triggers when archiving/logging.

• Not sure how this procedure, sp_scriptdynamicupdateproc , is used, it won't parse for me. Can you give an example of it beign called please?

"There is one other option for updates, but you won't find it in the UI. You can run sp_scriptdynamicupdateproc to generate a stored procedure that will build and execute dynamic SQL on the subscriber. Running the procedure just generates the script, it is up to you to apply it to all of your subscribers. The tradeoff when using this is that you only touch truly changed columns which may increase performance if many of the columns are indexed, in return you incur the overhead of building the statement and executing it each time. Here's what we what we would get from our original test table after running the proc on the publisher"

• Not sure how this procedure, sp_scriptdynamicupdateproc , is used, it won't parse for me. Can you give an example of it beign called please?

"There is one other option for updates, but you won't find it in the UI. You can run sp_scriptdynamicupdateproc to generate a stored procedure that will build and execute dynamic SQL on the subscriber. Running the procedure just generates the script, it is up to you to apply it to all of your subscribers. The tradeoff when using this is that you only touch truly changed columns which may increase performance if many of the columns are indexed, in return you incur the overhead of building the statement and executing it each time. Here's what we what we would get from our original test table after running the proc on the publisher"

• Hi Andy,

Great Article. Very thorough and informative.

When I create a publication, I use the default settings (CALL for INSERT and DELETE and SCALL for UPDATE), and as expected I get these 3 procedures, as described in your article:

[sp_MSdel_dboTableName]

[sp_MSins_dboTableName]

[sp_MSupd_dboTableName]

However, in addition, unexpectedly I get two more procedures:

[sp_MSdel_dboTableName_msrepl_ccs]

[sp_MSins_dboTableName_msrepl_ccs]

Basically, it's just an extra insert and an extra delete procedure with msrepl_ccs appended to the end of the names.

The difference in the delete procedure is that it does not post the error if the rowcount is 0. The difference in the insert procedure is that it checks to see if a record exists with the same pk, and if one does, it will update that record (instead of doing an insert that would ultimately fail).

I don't believe these procedures are being called by anything. It seems as though they are just there. The only reason I can think of is that if someone wants that type of behavior, they can simply change the properties of the article to call those procs instead of the other ones.

I haven't seen any documentation on it, and you didn't mention it in your article.

Do you have any explanation for why these procedures are being created? Do you know of any way to prevent them from being created? (if they are not being used, then they are just cluttering up the list of stored procedures).

• Msaurez, no idea. What version of SQL? What type of replication? If transactional, vanilla, updatable subscribers??

• SQL Server 2005.

Transactional (standard).

Distribution Server set up on another machine.

As straight forward a publication as you could imagine. Single table, no row filters, no column filters.

I'm fairly new to replication, and in doing all of the set up through the wizards, I haven't deviated from the default settings at all.

Every time I subscribe to a publication, these 2 extra sps get created.

One of my collegues noticed that when you set distribution to run locally, these 2 sps are not created... I wonder what that has to do with it...

Andy, do you not get these when sp's when you set up trans rep in 2005?

• And here they are... the 5 sp's that I get for this table:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[test_for_replication](

[id] [int] NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,

[name] [varchar](30) NOT NULL,

[description] [varchar](255) NOT NULL)

The ones being used are:

sp_MSdel_dbotest_for_replication

sp_MSins_dbotest_for_replication

sp_MSupd_dbotest_for_replication

The seemingly superfluous ones are:

sp_MSdel_dbotest_for_replication_msrepl_ccs

sp_MSins_dbotest_for_replication_msrepl_ccs

Here are the create proc scripts for all of them:

CREATE procedure [dbo].[sp_MSdel_dbotest_for_replication]

@pkc1 int

as

begin

delete "dbo"."test_for_replication"

where "id" = @pkc1

if @@rowcount = 0

if @@microsoftversion>0x07320000

exec sp_MSreplraiserror 20598

end

create procedure [dbo].[sp_MSdel_dbotest_for_replication_msrepl_ccs]

@pkc1 int

as

begin

delete "dbo"."test_for_replication"

where "id" = @pkc1

end

create procedure [dbo].[sp_MSins_dbotest_for_replication]

@c1 int,@c2 varchar(30),@c3 varchar(255)

as

begin

insert into "dbo"."test_for_replication"(

"id"

,"name"

,"description"

)

values (

@c1

,@c2

,@c3

)

end

create procedure [dbo].[sp_MSins_dbotest_for_replication_msrepl_ccs]

@c1 int,@c2 varchar(30),@c3 varchar(255)

as

begin

if exists ( select * from "dbo"."test_for_replication"

where "id" = @c1

)

begin

update "dbo"."test_for_replication" set

"name" = @c2

,"description" = @c3

where "id" = @c1

end

else

begin

insert into "dbo"."test_for_replication"(

"id"

,"name"

,"description"

)

values (

@c1

,@c2

,@c3

)

end

end

create procedure [dbo].[sp_MSupd_dbotest_for_replication]

@c1 int = null,@c2 varchar(30) = null,@c3 varchar(255) = null,@pkc1 int

,@bitmap binary(1)

as

begin

if ( substring(@bitmap,1,1) & 1 = 1 )

begin

"id" = case substring(@bitmap,1,1) & 1 when 1 then @c1 else "id" end

,"name" = case substring(@bitmap,1,1) & 2 when 2 then @c2 else "name" end

,"description" = case substring(@bitmap,1,1) & 4 when 4 then @c3 else "description" end

where "id" = @pkc1

if @@rowcount = 0

end

else

begin

"name" = case substring(@bitmap,1,1) & 2 when 2 then @c2 else "name" end

,"description" = case substring(@bitmap,1,1) & 4 when 4 then @c3 else "description" end

where "id" = @pkc1

if @@rowcount = 0

end

end

• Hi msuarez

I am also seeing similarly named stored procedures being created when I apply a snapshot after configuring transactional replication. They also appear when adding articles to an existing publication.

The important point is, though, that they (should) disappear immediately after the snapshot has been applied. they seem to be temporary in nature, for whatever purpose.

Cheers

Simon

• Even though this was more or less out of curiousity, I finally got my answer last week at the SQL Pass Conference in Seattle.

I sat down with an actual developer of Transactional Replication at the "Meet the Experts Lounge". I had a list of questions for him and this was one of them.

As Simon points out, these stored procedures are meant to assist the snapshot process in transactional replication. Basically, while a snapshot of the database is being taken, new transactions are also occuring. While the snapshot is being captured, some transactions may make it into the snapshot and some may not. Therefore, all of the new transactions that occur from the beginning of the snapshot to the end are applied using these procedures. So the insert proc updates the row if it already exists, or it inserts it. The delete proc issues the delete without concern as to whether any rows were affected. The ccs stands for concurrent snapshot.

Simon is correct that these are supposed to be temporary. Mine stick around for some reason. The developer wasnt sure why. But needless to say, my curiousity has been satisfied.

-Mike

• Can anyone tell me whether Statement delivery option can be set for Transactional Replication with Updatable Subscription? In our case, we don't want to take any action if there is any Update to one of our tables.

Thanks,

Irina

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply