Removing one letter from a string

• Hello all. I have a problem. A downloaded table includes a "T" character at the end of a string to mark where changes were made. I do not need that T, and in fact is confusing for my purposes. Using REPLACE removes all T's however, so while "Rice FarmingT" becomes "Rice Farming", "Fruit and Tree Nut FarmingT" becomes "Frui and ree Nu Farming". But not all the cells have T's at the end, so I can't just cut out the last letter.

Does anyone know how to get rid of only one letter? Thank you so much!

• CASE WHEN Col LIKE '%T' THEN LEFT(Col, LEN(Col) - 1) ELSE Col END

• Amy.G (9/22/2011)

Hello all. I have a problem. A downloaded table includes a "T" character at the end of a string to mark where changes were made. I do not need that T, and in fact is confusing for my purposes. Using REPLACE removes all T's however, so while "Rice FarmingT" becomes "Rice Farming", "Fruit and Tree Nut FarmingT" becomes "Frui and ree Nu Farming". But not all the cells have T's at the end, so I can't just cut out the last letter.

You could do a substring. Something like this:

declare @STR varchar(50)

set @STR = 'Rice FarmingT'

select substring(@str,1,len(@str)-1)

So the update would look like:

update yourtable set yourcolumn = substring(yourcolumn,1,len(yourcolumn)-1)

Hope that helps.

• bkubicek (9/22/2011)

Amy.G (9/22/2011)

Hello all. I have a problem. A downloaded table includes a "T" character at the end of a string to mark where changes were made. I do not need that T, and in fact is confusing for my purposes. Using REPLACE removes all T's however, so while "Rice FarmingT" becomes "Rice Farming", "Fruit and Tree Nut FarmingT" becomes "Frui and ree Nu Farming". But not all the cells have T's at the end, so I can't just cut out the last letter.

You could do a substring. Something like this:

declare @STR varchar(50)

set @STR = 'Rice FarmingT'

select substring(@str,1,len(@str)-1)

So the update would look like:

update yourtable set yourcolumn = substring(yourcolumn,1,len(yourcolumn)-1)

Hope that helps.

That was my first solution too until I remembered not ALL rows end with a T, only the ones modified.

The real question is how to do differentiate with a T for modification and a T without modification.

• Even though Ninja's_RGR'us solution should have worked, this is what ended up doing the trick --

Case when RIGHT(rtrim(f3),1) = 'T' then LEFT( f3, LEN(f3)-1) else f3 end

I would ponder why it was that Ninja's_RGR'us's solution removed the "T" from "Agriculture", but not from "Crop Production" but I have to let it go and move onto to the actual business problem.

Thank you all!

• Yet another way: -

DECLARE @TABLE AS TABLE (col VARCHAR(100))

INSERT INTO @TABLE

SELECT 'Rice FarmingT'

UNION ALL SELECT 'Fruit and Tree Nut FarmingT'

UNION ALL SELECT 'Tree' --Non-modified row

UNION ALL SELECT 'Fruit' --Non-modified row ending with a 't'

SELECT CASE WHEN invalid = 1

THEN LEFT(col, LEN(col) - 1)

ELSE col END

FROM (SELECT PATINDEX('[T]%',REVERSE(col)) AS invalid, col

FROM @TABLE) a

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Amy.G (9/22/2011)

Even though Ninja's_RGR'us solution should have worked, this is what ended up doing the trick --

Case when RIGHT(rtrim(f3),1) = 'T' then LEFT( f3, LEN(f3)-1) else f3 end

I would ponder why it was that Ninja's_RGR'us's solution removed the "T" from "Agriculture", but not from "Crop Production" but I have to let it go and move onto to the actual business problem.

Thank you all!

It shouldn't have. I don't use replace. I use left with stop at next to last character.

Are you sure you didn't use LIKE '%T%'? The last % shouldn't be there.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply