Remote SQL Server Administration

• Hello,

I currently work in Australia and most of my job involves working with SQL Servers in the UK.

Although my work has installed a T1 from where I work (at home...), remote controlling these servers can be slowish and a bit frustrating.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any good remote managment tools for SQL Server that would allow me to perform a good deal of what Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer do?

I have found a few but they seem to be rather, um, crap...

Thanks.

• Have you tried tools like Remote Desktop/Terminal Service, PC Anywhere, VNC ?

Using tools like EM tend to require a fair bit of network traffic because EM checks just about everything under the sun to make sure that whatever you are doing will work.  Using Remote Desktop etc only send the screen images and tend to do a better job when network bandwidth is an issue.  Whilst you have a T1 to you desktop, the internet has many ways of reducing effective bandwidth. 

• I use PCAnywhere and it's okay for most of the time.

What is this 'EM' tool you are speaking of?

• Enterprise Manager

• I use a Cisco VPN connection over the internet fairly frequently and have no problems with EM/QA over that (except that it trashes my local network connections).

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I use Cisco VPN too. I hate it.

I also use SonicWall VPN. With Sonic, you keep your internet connection and network connections open while accessing the VPN.

• My recommendation is to use Microsoft Terminal Client. It's better than PCA, you can have multiple connections, and the Remote server can still be locked while you access it from here.

I used to control many servers in Saudi Arabia from Sri Lanka with a 128k line without any problem.

you can also copy and paste easilty between your local computer and the remote server.

• ditto here ... Cisco VPN, RDP Client, multiple server connections executing EM all via a 128 Kb ISDN line ... no problems ... it's almost like a desktop workkstation onsite with a 10 Base-T connection ... just avoid copying large files to your local disk ...

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• I agree with Phil and bljblj.

Use a VPN connection and (A)DSL / UMTS and take over you client on the office.

I work like this for some years now and this saves me traveling (time and costs), frustration and being flexible my boss appriciates me.......

GKramer

The Netherlands

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply