Porting SQLServerCentral

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Porting SQLServerCentral

• Fingers crossed this all goes smoothly!  Let me know if I can help with testing

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Looking forward to it Steve, hopefully things will go as smoothly as they can.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• This is a nice project to read about. Thanks,

412-977-3526 call/text

• Glad to see you moving forward on this migration. Let us know if we can help!

• Steve,
    Have you ever published an architectural overview for SQL Server Central, similar to what other websites like Stack Overflow and Netflix do?
    Also, while the hood is up, have you considered using a document store database like Azure DocumentDB for archiving and indexing the content ?

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• We've published things a few times, but not anything in awhile. Our system is fairly simple, but it's probably worth documenting. We do have the stats live at monitor.red-gate.com, where the actual data is replicated from our internal systems to a publicly visible demo version of SQL Monitor.

Not sure what CosmosDB (formerly DocumentDB) would do to help us. If we removed data, we'd likely archive to another SQL Server database, and we could use distributed views to do that, but the amount of data is really small (GBs), so not sure what we'd get from CosmosDB.

That being said, I'd like to set up some project with that and experiment.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, December 27, 2018 9:07 AM

We've published things a few times, but not anything in awhile. Our system is fairly simple, but it's probably worth documenting. We do have the stats live at monitor.red-gate.com, where the actual data is replicated from our internal systems to a publicly visible demo version of SQL Monitor.

Not sure what CosmosDB (formerly DocumentDB) would do to help us. If we removed data, we'd likely archive to another SQL Server database, and we could use distributed views to do that, but the amount of data is really small (GBs), so not sure what we'd get from CosmosDB.

That being said, I'd like to set up some project with that and experiment.

Building it all out on SQL Server does present an opportunity to showcase SQL Monitor. But here is why I raised the question about Azure CosmosDB (or more specifically, DocumentDB):
    It seems that the bulk of SQL Server Central content is forum posts, editorials, summary stats, and source code. This can be modeled relationally, if you leverage blob data types. However, it's more naturally structured as documents, mostly html text with meta-data tags. Also, CosmosDB is very scalable in terms of user request throughput (~ $500 / month for 10,000 request units per second), and you can dial the RU/s up or down as needed.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• There are a few things with that. First, we focus on SQL Server, so we want to host on SQL Server.
    Second, there are things we do that can be modeled as documents, but aggregating those together and working in groups is better handled relationally, IMHO. I think forum posts, which are linked and cross linked, are a better relational fit than a document. Questions and answers, likely better relationally.

For the articles, sure, those are better fits for documents, like DocumentDB, but since I also need to put things together later, that might not be easy.

However, at our data volume, this is a wash, and the request count is tough to calculate and decide what's better. Ultimately I think doing this on DocumentDB would work, but there would be a learning curve, perhaps a large one, and things might not be as smooth.

It's easy to napkin scratch how things might work. Much harder to actually make them work. Perhaps even harder to port them over and deal with the issues as you get things running.

• Awesome.  I cannot speak for others but the ability to simply copy and paste code from SSMS without something wonky going on with the format would be key to me.  Second to that would be the ability to simply paste graphics from a tool like the "old" windows snipping tool a drag'n'drop that actually worked.

And, yeah... I'll be happy to test the dickens out of both of those things for you.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• A couple things I'd like to see are the ability to link multiple email accounts.  I liked the change from the prior version, looking forward to the new version.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1884151/Link-account-to-multiple-email-adresses

If you are making changes how about changing the view of your 'Replies', so it has a 'Date of Last Change'.

I brought this up in this thread: https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1930136/Need-simpler-way-to-see-a-list-of-my-posts-and-possible-replies-to-them#bm1967227

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• This will be an interesting project and WordPress is certainly very popular although I have seen it being the target of a lot of hacks but I suppose the same is true of any popular platform.

I had never heard of NHibernate and having a look at the documentation I was wondering what the main advantage of this would be over something like .NET Core. It looks quite complex but it may be because it is not something I am used to. What would be the main advantage of using that just out of interest - or has .NET Core and Entity Framework sort of taken over from this now as it looks similar in some ways - mapping tables to objects?

• Have used WordPress for all my blogs. I like them. The only issue I hate with it is how complicated it can be to customize as well secure as WordPress is popular, so is the vulnerabilities to cracking it. I'm to the point now where I pay my host to completely manage my WordPress installation because of how many times it's been compromised over the years.

• I asked them to post data about the SQL Server type, and tweeted them to see if they would add the data for version (2008 R2, 2016, 2017)

https://projectnami.org/sql-edition-usage-stats-for-2018/

412-977-3526 call/text

• robert.sterbal 56890 - Wednesday, January 2, 2019 10:18 AM

I asked them to post data about the SQL Server type, and tweeted them to see if they would add the data for version (2008 R2, 2016, 2017)

https://projectnami.org/sql-edition-usage-stats-for-2018/

We've updated the link above with some version data.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply