Porting SQLServerCentral

• I use WordPress for my blog and I am aware of project Nami and glad it is out there.

I like to have options when linking databases to different UIs because there never seems to be a perfect UI for everything.
    It will be interesting to see how it goes.

• I just remembered that on every WordPress.com article that I posted a comment to, I had to subscribe to that article.  I hope we don't have to do that for the forums after the port.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, January 3, 2019 9:28 PM

I just remembered that on every WordPress.com article that I posted a comment to, I had to subscribe to that article.  I hope we don't have to do that for the forums after the port.

WordPress is an open source platform, so the options and flexibility probably depend on whether it's hosted at WordPress.com versus hosting it elsewhere or on-prem.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Friday, January 4, 2019 6:23 AM

Jeff Moden - Thursday, January 3, 2019 9:28 PM

I just remembered that on every WordPress.com article that I posted a comment to, I had to subscribe to that article.  I hope we don't have to do that for the forums after the port.

WordPress is an open source platform, so the options and flexibility probably depend on whether it's hosted at WordPress.com versus hosting it elsewhere or on-prem.

Let's hope the people doing the porting know that. 😀  My participation on this forum would drop dramatically if I had to answer a bloody "confirm subscribing" email for every thread I responded to and wanted to be notified of additional posts on those threads.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Friday, January 4, 2019 8:56 AM

Let's hope the people doing the porting know that. 😀  My participation on this forum would drop dramatically if I had to answer a bloody "confirm subscribing" email for every thread I responded to and wanted to be notified of additional posts on those threads.

I agree there is simply no point in being asked to subscribe each time we post.

However, what would really be useful is a multi-factor CAPTCHA challenge forcing us to:
    1. Select from a series of 20 teen selfies the three who are actually cool
    2. Type the correct three word interpretation of an Rorschach ink blot
    3. Check a box certifying under penalty of criminal prosecution that we're not a robot
    :satisfied:

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Friday, January 4, 2019 12:11 PM

Jeff Moden - Friday, January 4, 2019 8:56 AM

However, what would really be useful is a multi-factor CAPTCHA challenge forcing us to:
    3. Check a box certifying under penalty of criminal prosecution that we're not a robot

It would be nice if they  could force a captcha only when they thought an unusual log on was taking place, and then have that as a way to communicate that your account has had suspicious activity, and when you logged in, provided a link to the detail as to what prompted the captcha request.

412-977-3526 call/text

• robert.sterbal 56890 - Friday, January 4, 2019 12:22 PM

Eric M Russell - Friday, January 4, 2019 12:11 PM

Jeff Moden - Friday, January 4, 2019 8:56 AM

It would be nice if they  could force a captcha only when they thought an unusual log on was taking place, and then have that as a way to communicate that your account has had suspicious activity, and when you logged in, provided a link to the detail as to what prompted the captcha request.

The primary purpose of CAPCHA is to cover the scenario where a robot steals your device and then proceeds to access your bank accounts and take control of your social media feeds. Domestic robots are not as popular in the US or Europe today as they are in Japan, but looking ahead it will become more common.
    View image on Twitter

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply