Permissions for Extended Events

• In our non-production environments,  the developers and QA people use Extended Events frequently to capture exactly what is executing.  On-prem, the only permissions required are VIEW SERVER STATE.  That level of access is granted to the non-production environments, we are comfortable with that.

However, in Azure SQL Databases, they need to be able to do the same things.  Azure Data Studio has an extended events extension that will serve the purpose perfectly.  View server state does not exist in Azure SQL database, and view database state does not grant enough perms to run an extended event.

As far as I can tell, you need to be granted CONTROL permissions to be able to do this.  That's a higher level of access that we want to grant to the various users.

Has anyone done this, and what perms allow access that are not as great as control?

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Docs state this: "... ALTER ANY DATABASE EVENT SESSION permission in the database."

Did you test that ?

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Johan Bijnens wrote:

Docs state this: "... ALTER ANY DATABASE EVENT SESSION permission in the database."

Did you test that ?

I ran through a series of grant perms and none of them worked.   I thought that was the first permission I tried.

This morning, after reading your answer, I went through a test with one of the QA folks.  It failed, I granted alter any event to her group, and it worked. Thanks!

Michael L John

• BWAAA-HAAA-HAAA!!!  (Sorry... couldn't help the laugh).

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

BWAAA-HAAA-HAAA!!!  (Sorry... couldn't help the laugh).

Yeah.  There was a very large "DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHH" this morning.

After I replied to the Johan, I figured out what my stupidity was.  There are only two groups who are granted access to any environment, XXX-Readers and XXX-Writers.  You have to request to be added to these groups, and it only lasts a certain number of days.  I had a test account I was using.  Guess what.  That account was not a member of either of these groups.  It's access had expired, and since there's no email for that account, nobody knew.

I used an actual real live person as a test, which is when it worked.

Michael L John

• To be sure, my laugh wasn't about your bit of misfortune.  I was laughing because it appears to be yet another limitation of Azure. 😀

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

To be sure, my laugh wasn't about your bit of misfortune.  I was laughing because it appears to be yet another limitation of Azure. 😀

Actually, it works in the same manner as on-prem.  BUT.  There's no "local storage", so you need to create a storage container for the .xel files.

I stumbled upon the extension for Azure Data Studio, which is strangely called "Profiler", but under the covers it's extended events. Almost all of the folks who need this just let the SQL scroll by, and stop it when they "see something".  It works just fine.

Michael L John

• Michael L John wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

To be sure, my laugh wasn't about your bit of misfortune.  I was laughing because it appears to be yet another limitation of Azure. 😀

Actually, it works in the same manner as on-prem.  BUT.  There's no "local storage", so you need to create a storage container for the .xel files.

I stumbled upon the extension for Azure Data Studio, which is strangely called "Profiler", but under the covers it's extended events. Almost all of the folks who need this just let the SQL scroll by, and stop it when they "see something".  It works just fine.

Thanks.  I'll have to check it out.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Keep in mind: Not just any kind of Azure BLOB storage! It needs to be V2 ! ( or newer )

And you have to remove these files yourself ! ( on-prem SQL Server rolls over a specified xevent number of files )

Check my article "Logon monitoring in SQL Server and Azure Managed Instances - Adopting Extended Events"

Johan

• Johan Bijnens wrote:

Keep in mind: Not just any kind of Azure BLOB storage! It needs to be V2 ! ( or newer )

And you have to remove these files yourself ! ( on-prem SQL Server rolls over a specified xevent number of files )

Check my article "Logon monitoring in SQL Server and Azure Managed Instances - Adopting Extended Events"

I already read your article, it is very good. It was what I was using as a guide.    At some point I am going to have to set it up in this manner.  I use extended events for a variety of different reasons on-prem.  I need to gather the same info in Azure.

Right now, the extension for Azure Data Studio serves the purpose for the QA and dev folks.

Michael L John

• Maybe have a look at Gianluca's WorkloadTools to process the xe event files in bulk

"WorkloadTools : A collection of tools to collect, analyze and replay SQL Server workloads, on premises and in the cloud"

Johan

• We can use the SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) to create an SQL Server extended events session. At first, we expand the Management folder and right-click on the Sessions. On the menu, we click the New Session… option to create a new extended event session, and then the New Session window will appear

Extended events is a lightweight performance monitoring system that enables users to collect data needed to monitor and troubleshoot problems in SQL Server.

krnt.run

myindigocard app

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  bekzclz11.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply