Passing GetDate() as a parameter to a UDF datetime parameter

• Hi,

I know you can't use GetDate() in a UDF, but does anyone know a way of passing the output from GetDate() into a DateTime UDF parameter.

I have a fairly simple function which returns a list of approvers. I can pass the date parameter as '21-Dec-2005', but if I try and use GetDate() in the function call I get an incorrect syntax error message.

CREATE FUNCTION ctfn_AdditionalApproval (@strUserID CHAR ( 8 ), @dtApprovalDate DATETIME  )

RETURNS @Approvers TABLE  (Approver  CHAR(8) )

AS 

BEGIN 

INSERT INTO @Approvers (Approver)

SELECT APR.EmployeeID

FROM dbo.ApprovalRights APR WITH (NOLOCK)

WHERE APR.UserID = @strUserID

AND ISNULL(APR.EndDate, @dtApprovalDate) >= @dtApprovalDate

RETURN

END

David

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

• What we do is assign a variable the GETDATE() and then use that variable when we call the UDF.  May help you

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Thank you!

Assigning GetDate() to a DATETIME variable works, but GETDATE() returns a DATETIME datatype, so why doesn't passing it as a parameter directly work ?

David

• Perhaps the UDF call takes precendence over the funciton call, so it's not a datetime when it's passed ?

Not sure

• To avoid the problem, I use my function dbo.fn_getdate(). This function can be used in other functions:

script ( create it in master, and call fn_getdate as master.dbo.fn_getdate() ) :

create table dbo.tbl_getdate

( id int,now as getdate())

go

insert dbo.tbl_getdate (id) values (1)

go

create function dbo.fn_getdate()

returns datetime

as

begin

declare @fn_getdate datetime

select top 1 @fn_getdate = now

from dbo.tbl_getdate

where id = 1

return @fn_getdate

end

go

grant exec on dbo.fn_getdate to public

go

• Of the three types of UDF's, only scalar functions (functions that return a single value with the RETURN statement) allow the results of other functions to be passed as parameters.  Table-value functions and inline functions, which return tables, do not.  Actually, you can't use any functions in such calls.  Try using CONVERT or RTRIM with the char parameter, for example - an error will be reported.

• Thanks for all your help folks, I will try Bert's suggestion of a UDF version of GetDate()

Merry Christmas

David

• Perhaps helps anyone...

declare @data as char(10)

set @data= (select convert(varchar(10),getdate(),112) )

print @data

declare @data1 as datetime

set @data1 =convert(varchar(10),@data,112)

--print @data

print @data1

select * from UDF(@data1)

• Please note this is a 14 year old thread.  The original function shown should now be written as a inline table valued function, not the way this is.  Also, just tried it out and an inline table valued function can have the GETDATE() function passed in as a parameter.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply