Oracle

• I remembered an obscure problem that I had. Jobs scheduled for midnight frequently wouldn't run because of something weird with how the clock rolled over, so you scheduled jobs at 12:01am to get them to run. That fix always seemed to work. I know we had that problem back in the 6.5 and prior days, I wonder if they've fixed it yet?

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• The wierdest problem I ever encountered was with the Agent in v6.0. We came in to work after the new year and no scheduled jobs had executed since December 31st. A few hours on the phone with MS PSS uncovered that fact that the next scheduled run time for all of our regulary scheduled tasks was December 32nd ! We all had a great laugh about the 'rookiness' of the blunder concerning date handling - the column was even an int as opposed to datetime !!!

We then hacked the appropriate msdb table and things were again 'normal'.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• It was a spoof, David...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Whoa, today's headline article says SQL Server pre 2008 does not have a MERGE statement? Hands up everyone who knew Oracle's had one since 9i but, er, forgot to mention it ...

• MERGE has been part of DB2 for a loooooonnnnggg time

* Noel

• I came from a DB2 background where SQL Server was regarded as nothing more than a toy database system. Comparing SQL 6.5 or 7.0 to DB2 v3 or even 2.3 may be a good way to emphasize this.

When I first started using 2000, it took me AGES to stop whinging about "Microsloth" and the bastardisation of standard SQL statements so that they could make things pretty for wannabe programmers who couldn't code without a spell-checker. Little did I know that T-SQL was something that was exclusive to MS.

I've been working with 2000 now for about 5 years and quite like it as it *does* have a very valid place in business and Microsoft don't try to kill their own product with utterly ridiculous licencing fees. The last figure for the site I was at for DB2 put the licence fees into the millions of $ - and not just 1 or 2!

As much as I like it, I still say that SQL Server is a toy when compared to the big iron of databases out there but different applications require different methods and SQL Server meets those needs in far more ways than DB2 can.

As for the other mini-range product, I'm flat out even spelling "Orakul"

A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

• Please guys read the following document.

http://www.wisdomforce.com/dweb/resources/docs/MSSQL2005_ORACLE10g_compare.pdf

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply