Opening Day

• Opening Day

It's the start of the 2007 baseball season in the US. So while you're troubleshooting a user who can't connect because they changed their password, or maybe trying to make that query run a touch faster, I'll be enjoying the Rockies opening game today at Coors Field in Denver.

The image above is actually from 2005, and I was at that game. An exciting extra innings win. I've been in Denver for 9 years now and I've been to the last 4 opening days. Two years ago I took my son out of school, which was exciting for him at the time, but he didn't really want to go to many games after that, so I went alone last year and will again this year.

Actually I'll have my own opening day on Sunday. After sending the newsletters out, I'll head out to play "old-man's baseball" in the over-40 league. Last year I played baseball as an adult for the first time and it was a great getaway for me, so this is a big weekend for me!

I write about technology most of the time and many of us are caught up in the happenings with SQL Server and other platforms, trying to advance our careers, be professionals, and better integrate technology into the world. It's a fun job, but the hours can be long, the training constant, and lots of concentration because face it, computers let us make mistakes really, really quickly.

So it's good to have a hobby or two outside of work. Something besides your family that lets you get away. My wife has her horses, I have baseball and woodworking, though my wife might add manure shoveling, fence repair and other miscellaneous honey-do tasks.

Even if you don't enjoy baseball, if the weather's good, heading out the opening day with friends is a fun time. It's a nice right of spring, and a great excuse to take a break from your job. We've used it for team building in the past at some of my jobs.

So pick some type of event like this and get your team out there to take a break from work and bond together a little tighter. Those times will really help when you're working at midnight together to meet a deadline.

And if you're in San Francisco, Pac Bell has been nicely renovated and is now ATT Park.

• No kidding.

I'm a developer from Monday to Friday, but what keeps me sane is the fact that I also go rock climbing a couple times a week, and spend about 12 hrs per week doing ballroom dancing.

Gaming is also fun and a great way for me to unwind, but realistically I need some hobbies which take me AWAY from a computer, too...

-----------------

C8H10N4O2

• I used toi be all work and no fun, then realized there just is a lot more to life than work.

For fun I play computer games (mostly MMORPG's), but to really get away I go shooting.  Will compete in some IDPA events this year which is a great way of getting away from the computers for me.

• For my time away from the computer I do indoor archery. I know it doesn't sound like that much to shoot an arrow into a target only 60 feet away, but when the X ring is a little smaller than a nickel it's more than enough to challenge me:-)

As an added benefit most of the practice is done outside at home. Within a reasonable drive are a couple of indoor ranges where I can practice and join the local leagues. If you don't know anything about archery leagues, it's a lot like a bowling league, but without teams:-) Your on your own... run what you brung:-)

What amazes me about this hobby, is the way it totally relieves all my stress. Nothing but the X ring in the target to think about, Grasshopper, and how to execute a perfect back tension release... But that's another story:-)

• Baseball is the only sport I enjoy. I live in Cols Ohio and am a Cincinnati Reds fan. I took today off and will watch the game on TV.. a bonus is it will be 70 here in Ohio so I will enjoy the nice weather as well. I have been a big Reds fan all of my life, someday I will plop down money for the very hard to get Red's Opening Day tickets to experience Opening day where professional baseball was started.

Enjoy the Rockies !!!

• Markus,

It's worth it. It's one of the few games the Rockies sell out and while it's a zoo, it's neat to be in that atmosphere where everyone is excited, there's hope for the new year and everyone's in a good mood.

60s here today, which is like 70s there with no humidity and looking forward to it.

But first a few hours of work

• When I'm not doing SQL stuff and working, I've found that playing games online (World of Warcraft, specifically) has helped me see the computer as a way to relax as well. 

As for getting away from the computer, when we aren't gaming, my husband and I like going on road trips - like driving up to Niagara Falls or to various places in Michigan, where our friends live.  We also like taking part in geocaching - fun with a GPS!

• There is nothing better than Opening Day at Fenway.  Unfortunately, the everyday fan can't afford the tickets.

Go Sox!! 

• Speaking of opening day, Glavine looked good yesterday (as did Moises Alou) for the over-40 club. He added a single and a sac bunt to a solid outing on the mound in the little bit of the game I was able to see (with a 2 year old demanding Sprout every 5 minutes you eventually give in). Nothing like baseball season starting back up.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• OK, pet peeve time.

I ABSOLUTELY HATE our new habit of naming parks after sponsor du jour. Have our teams lost all pride of place.

Originally parks had names, names that stayed for generations, not seasons, names that reflected history, not dollars. Fenway, Shea, Wrigley (yes it's a brand but also a permanent name as well). Names that gave homage to players, places, or public notables rather than advertiser's slogans.

I cannot reference on of these newspeak names without feeling compromised.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• I feel the same way. A great example: Candlestick Park vs. Monster Park. Sorry, Monster Park just completely loses any sense of nostalia.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I agree with that. I can't believe that these companies get the benefit for the millions they spend. Personally I'm a Yankee Stadium, Texas Statium, The Forum in Englewood, Candlestick, Tiger Stadium, Fenway Park, Tiger Stadium, The Ballpark at Arlington kind of guy.

• I've really gotten into online Chess lately, both live games such as at Yahoo and correspondence games at ItsYourTurn.com. Playing at ItsYourTurn is cool because I can take quick breaks throughout the day to make my next move. Away from the computer I like to speed skate, jog, or just take walks.

• Mom, apple pie and baseball - that's America ... oops I almost forgot the first baseball players strike in 1972 changed my definition of America. How appropriate that it was on April Fools day !

My definition of America since then is just Mom and apple pie - NO baseball. Call me different, I just could not fathom the decline of what used to be a national institution into arguements about money. If I remember correctly the rookies complained that a cap of $80,000 a year was not enough. Imagine that way back in 1972 making that kind of money and it was not enough. Ever since then I have boycotted everything possible connected with the sport. Nothing bitter, just a decision.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• If you ever decide to play at http://www.letsplaychess.com, PM me here at SSC. It's correspondence chess as well. Just happens to be the only correspondence chess site I've registered and gotten used to the interface on.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply