Old Upgrades

• Old Upgrades

The other day I was examining some of our hardware and trying to decide what to do. We have an older PowerEdge 2650 that we've moved off of for daily operations and need to upgrade. It runs Windows 2000 and while it sends some of our newsletters, we wanted to upgrade it to Windows 2003 as well as potentially add more hardware.

So I went and checked my Dell Open Manage application to see my configuration for CPU, Memory, disk, etc.

And it was broken. I got some Java error and so couldn't get the CPU measurement or the memory configuration. The array manager worked, so I could get the disk, and I could guess at memory. Not sure if this particular model is a 400MHz or 533MHz bus, but I could get that later when I want to put the order out there.

However CPU was another matter. I couldn't get the Service Tag since the colocation data center is about 15 miles away and I wasn't interested in driving that day. Dell didn't sell 2.0GHz CPUs, so I went to NewEgg and tried to price another 2.0GHz CPU, but they don't sell them. They list lots of different socket configurations, but I wasn't even sure which socket is in the box.

Ignoring that I went to look at the drives. We had 33GB drives in there in a RAID array, but I couldn't find those for sale at Dell either. They have 36GB and I could just move the 33's to another server and buy 36GB ones for here, and I may do that.

I've been out of the hardware game for awhile, not really paying attention to the myriad of different architectures and processors coming out. I'm a DBA and typically haven't worried about whether SATA is better than SCSI or the Prescott cores mean more than the Northwood ones. I just need the server to work.

I'm not sure what I should do here, but I'm very tempted to let this server go and just purchase a new one that has more capabilities and power. Older hardware certainly has it's challenges in this fast paced world in which we work.

Steve Jones

• Well, if you're out of the hardware game for some time, you're lost.

I made that experience as well. Back when I was in highschool (when we used computers for games) everyone knew what kind of processor was the best, which kind of graphics card you needed and how fast the FSB should be. What the differences between EDO- and SD-RAM were...

Now I've just a rough overview over the most important things, but no details anymore. If you don't focus on hardware, you can't keep up.

I guess purchasing a new server is the easiest and maybe the best alternative. Maybe you can use the old server for a task that's suited for that kind of system. There are always tasks for which you don't have to have a high-end system.

• If you time is worth 10 cents an hour, just purchase a new server

It's impossible to keep up with what components still have useful life, and which are obsolete and how it relates to your needs unless you do it full time.

Sure you could save a few bucks if everything works out, but how much do you lose if nothing works?

• Sounds like the scenario for a Dilbert series...

• Steve, I was a hardware man for 32 years before moving to software.  The thought back then was if the machine was 3 year or older replace the machine.  The speed increase was much greater and the cost to replace the machine with the features you need would be cheaper than upgrading.  With the new CPU chips you can get two CPUs per chip.  You will also have a warrantee for up to 3 years.  With the new CPUs the power usage will be down also.

Loren

• I hate to live in a throw away society. But if you enjoy your free time, get new. Upgrading a box seems like a good idea, but after 3 yrs, are the fans any good? How bout that power supply? ... And your likely to pay more for an older CPU (as they are no longer mass produced).  Take the old server and make a gaming box out of it, but once you start doing anything past RAM/Disk its a negative ROI.  Look for one of the new energy efficient CPU's and bigger disks so you could virtualize and get rid of another server.

If you really want to upgarde you should be able to put the Dell express code (somewhere on the server or under the dell utilities) into the Dell support site and get an inventory on the system. Usually the CPU is listed in the inventory.

• If you need help determining the hardware configuration you currently have on a Windows machine, I suggest SIW (System Information for Windows).  http://www.gtopala.com/about_siw.html

This freeware is a stand-alone tool and does not install.  It can be run from a detachable drive, over a network, or locally.

It's handy, easy to use, free, and it will find your service tag number.

• The point here is does Dell still make power supplies that fit in the server case?

33MB disks. Does anybody still make them that small?

ATBCharles Kincaid

• If it's a 2650 then you are probably looking at the service warranty expiring sometime in the next 12 months.

Once you reach this point you should purchase some new hardware. The cost differential is usually less than $1000, and if you look at it from a capex vs opex perspective it actually works out cheaper to buy new than upgrade given ongoing support costs.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• Steve;

Hardware costs have plummeted so much lately, that buying new has never been a better choice.

Don't waste your time with upgrading older hardware. And 36 gig RAID? Sheesh! Go big. Go 100 gig or more.

• Buy new and use the old machine as is for dev/test or even take it home for the kids.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• If new is in the budget then new it should be. However, I am looking at buying a used but loaded 2600 series server right now for a specific application (no SQL duty). It comes with P4 2.4GHZ Xeons. Perhaps yours does too. Is the service tag number still on the back of the server? Dell keeps those original configurations on line. There are a number of Dell parts centers (Dell and 3rd party) that make it economical to extend the life of a server.

But it all depends on the job it has to do. Older but useful software may not benefit from newer hardware. Right now I am moving from a PII Xeon running NT to the latest and greatest from Dell and 2003. Funny thing, while we are in test phase with some users off the older server and on the new ones, the reduced load has returned its speed and stability. Since we are a Citrix and Terminal Server operation, this is important. But, it is time to replace the server. They don't last forever no matter how much they cost initially.

The other comments about the other components are valid points to consider. So is its new role as a file server, test server or backup server.

• Thanks for the comments. Someone sent me this link: http://www.thisoldstore.com, if anyone else is in the same situation.

I'm thinking that I might move this box into the dev/test area with a few more drives. Space isn't an issue, but my other 2650 has 33, or as I've learned, 36GB, drives as well. I'm looking to consolidate my 6 drives into the 5 lsots and have a spare and then buy new drives for one server to use it for various things.

• Hey Steve: If you are going to upgrade the drives you should buy them through Dell. I had a big headache when I found out that my PowerEdge 2650's require special Hard Drive Trays - the HD "Place Holders" that are installed are just that - you cannot use them to install new hard drives.

In any case, I recommend upgrading to one of the following servers (I have at least one of each, they are VERY good): Dell PE 2950 or 1950 (w/ the Xeon 51xx series CPUs), HP DL385 (w/ at least AMD Opteron 275).

• Look to local.  We had a drive go out on an old Dell server and we didn't order another spare from the last time a drive went out. 

Dell still sold the drive, but couldn't get it to us for 2 days.  Way too long to take a chance on another drive going out and losing the whole array. 

We found a local supplier that had a ton of used computer parts that they would buy from businesses.  We got the drive at about the same price, but we didn't take the chance on losing data from another drive going out.

(I know it's a long shot for two drives to go out within 48 hours, but it actually happened to us one time.  This is why we always keep a spare or two.)

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply