NULL and Unique IDentifier.. :-(

• Hi friends,

I understood that if the column is defined as UNIQUE , it will contains the values such that each one is different from other.

Also the column defined as UNIQUE can take NULL value (one of the difference from PRIMARY KEY) , and I have seen that it can take ONE AND ONLY ONE NULL value...

But my doubt is if we set SET ANSI_NULLS ON , it mean NULL != NULL , in that case why the column (which is defined as UNIQUE) cant take more than one NULL value... ?

It will be a great help if any one can clear my doubt/ correct my understanding if it is wrong

Thanks in advance...

Regards,

MC

Thanks & Regards,
    MC

• It's simply because that setting only affects comparisons... not the way a UNIQUE index works.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• K, thanks

I have one more doubt...

Here is the table named test with coulmns ID and Name

create table test

(id int identity(1,1) primary key ,

name varchar(30) unique

)

when i insert records

insert into test (name) values('abc')

insert into test (name) values('xyz')

insert into test (name) values(null)

select * from test

Im getting the result as

diname

3NULL

1abc

2xyz

since by default the unique identifire is non-clustured , the records should be in the same order I have inserted na..?

Thanks & Regards,
    MC

• You can handle this with CHECK constraint and a user defined function. Create a function which determines if a specified name is NULL or does not exist in the table and return an INT. Then create a CHECK constraint on your Name column which calls the function and handles the return value.

-- Test table

CREATE TABLE Test

(

Id INT IDENTITY

PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED,

Name VARCHAR(35) NULL

)

CREATE INDEX IX_Test_Name ON Test (Name)

GO

-- Function to validate the name

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.ufn_ck_TestName_Unique

(

@Id INT,

@Name VARCHAR(30)

)

RETURNS INT

AS

BEGIN

IF (@Name IS NULL)

RETURN 1

IF EXISTS (SELECT TOP(1) 1 FROM Test WHERE Id != @Id AND Name = @Name)

RETURN 0

RETURN 1

END

GO

-- Create a CHECK constraint

ALTER TABLE Test

ADD CONSTRAINT

CK_Test_Name_Unique

CHECK (dbo.ufn_ck_TestName_Unique(Id, Name) = 1)

GO

-- Try to insert some data

INSERT INTO Test SELECT 'Hello'

INSERT INTO Test SELECT NULL

INSERT INTO Test SELECT 'Hello'

INSERT INTO Test SELECT NULL

SELECT * FROM Test

GO

-- Clean up

ALTER TABLE Test DROP CONSTRAINT CK_Test_Name_Unique

DROP FUNCTION dbo.ufn_ck_TestName_Unique

DROP TABLE Test

Flo

• I believe a function as a check constraint is going to slow down INSERTs quite a bit. Wouldn't it be better to setup a little DRI instead?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hi Jeff!

My solution definitely may become a performance issue with huge load. I just have no idea how you would handle this with DRI? (Maybe depends on the fact that I had tea this morning instead of coffee...) Do you have a little sample or a reference?

Flo

• The Records are inserted in the same order.

AS you can see by the ID values assigned.

I think you mean that rows are returned in a order that you are not expecting.

The query plan that I get shows that the IX index is being used and not the clustered index which means there is no guarantee of sort order.

If you force the query to use the clustered index you will see they come in order 1,2,3 (I'm not saying this is what you should do but it illustrates the point)

----------------------------------------------
    Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley

:w00t:
    Posting Best Practices[/url]
    Numbers / Tally Tables[/url]

SQL-4-Life
  • Flo, if you are trying to allow more than a single null, but everything else is unique there are two methods that I would recommend:

1) Use a nullbuster column (coined and attributed to Steve Kass)

CREATE TABLE dupNulls (

pk int identity(1,1) primary key,

X int NULL,

nullbuster as (case when X is null then pk else 0 end),

CONSTRAINT dupNulls_uqX UNIQUE (X,nullbuster)

)

INSERT INTO dupNulls(X) VALUES (1)

INSERT INTO dupNulls(X) VALUES (NULL)

INSERT INTO dupNulls(X) VALUES (NULL)

GO

SELECT pk, X, nullbuster FROM dupNulls

UPDATE dupNulls SET X = 1 WHERE pk = 2

GO

UPDATE dupNulls SET X = 2 WHERE pk = 2

DROP TABLE dupNulls

2) Use an indexed view and exclude rows where that column is null. Create a unique index on the indexed view for that column.

Either of the above are going to perform a lot better than using a function.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• only4mithunc (6/17/2009)

since by default the unique identifire is non-clustured , the records should be in the same order I have inserted na..?

By definition, a table has no order. The only way to guarantee the order data is returned is to provide an ORDER BY on the query. Without an ORDER BY - SQL Server can return the results in any order.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

• Heh... Congrats Jeffrey; a new bookmark in browser for this topic 🙂

Using an indexed view is a solution I really had to see. Let me justify with the lack of coffee...

But the "nullbuster" is definitely a completely new word/way I've never heard/seen.

Thanks a lot!

Flo

• hi friends, thanks for this bunch of reply.... 🙂

but the solution is like keeping unique value in the column and allowing more than one NULL value....

but my doubt was....

when we set SET ANSI_NULLS ON , then we can see that NULL != NULL (by this I think one NULL is different from another NULL ), so in that case why the unique identifier column is still not allowing more than one NULL value... ?

(Im not asking is there any way to allow more than one NULL and keep other value as unique...

🙂 )

Thanks,

MC

Thanks & Regards,
    MC

• only4mithunc (6/17/2009)

hi friends, thanks for this bunch of reply.... 🙂

but the solution is like keeping unique value in the column and allowing more than one NULL value....

but my doubt was....

when we set SET ANSI_NULLS ON , then we can see that NULL != NULL (by this I think one NULL is different from another NULL ), so in that case why the unique identifier column is still not allowing more than one NULL value... ?

(Im not asking is there any way to allow more than one NULL and keep other value as unique...

🙂 )

Thanks,

MC

Sorry - we went off on a little tangent. Your question was already answered - but, here it is again:

It's simply because that setting only affects comparisons... not the way a UNIQUE index works.

--Jeff Moden

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

• Florian Reischl (6/17/2009)

Heh... Congrats Jeffrey; a new bookmark in browser for this topic 🙂

Using an indexed view is a solution I really had to see. Let me justify with the lack of coffee...

But the "nullbuster" is definitely a completely new word/way I've never heard/seen.

Thanks a lot!

Flo

You can thank Steve Kass for that term - I just copied his code and remembered that it exists. :w00t:

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

• Ok.Ok.. than you thanks a lot....

Regards,

MC

Thanks & Regards,
    MC

• @Jeffrey:

Erm... Just played with this nullbuster. This might be an important information for you:

This feature works find on SSE2k5 but it does not work anymore on SSE2k8 for bulk inserts like:

INSERT INTO dupNulls (X)

SELECT 1

UNION ALL SELECT NULL

UNION ALL SELECT NULL

Flo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply