Nineteen Eighty Mom

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Nineteen Eighty Mom

• I agree... way to much "big brother" already...

Shoot, I'm still ticked off about having Fluoride, ABS, airbags, seatbelts, lid laws, the fact that my truck records the last 5 seconds before a collision, that I can't get off my riding lawn mower without the engine shutting off unless I set the brake, that my cell phone knows where I'm at, that the Internet knows the address of my computer, and the general demise of really cool toys like "Lawn Jarts". 😀 Don't get me wrong... I'm very happy I have all of those things (except the computer address thing and the demise of Lawn Jarts) and never drive without the seatbelt in my truck nor on my motorcycle without a helmet, boots, gloves, etc, etc. I would always make the choice to be safe. My point is, I have no CHOICE in any of those things and that's not what America is about.

Here in Michigan, some poor ol' bugger was having a heck of a time with his canoe way out in the woods next to a river. He started cussing up a storm! He was 50 miles away from any form of civilization!!!! Some "soccer mom" was out hiking in the woods and heard him swearing... She SUED him according to a Michigan state law against profanity and WON!!??

What's next? Are they gonna make Potatoes illegal because I made a Potato cannon to overcome my sense of loss about the Lawn Jarts? They should see what I can do with Milk! 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• The marketing hype around the digitial butler always assumes the information the butler has is correct, and that no-one will misuse that information.

The reality is the data quality is always suspect, and that so many people have official access to the data it cannot be considered confidential.

The medical records of both my wife and myself contain details that relate to the other person, plus at least one set of test results from a stranger. We can work this out because I know I had a test on a given date and the results show in my wife's records, and she knows she did not have any tests within a few months of the date. On another front, we changed banks due to the number of errors the bank was making with our accounts - but would another computer trust the digital data it would get from our old bank or the spoken and written data it could get from us.

Based on this small sample, most people's details are likely to contain errors. Yet we are being hyped a future where definities will be proposed from tentatives and speculatives. It won't just be GIGO traffic advice that we get, but GIGO insurance quotes, GIGO credit scoring, etc. We will soon be judged not on what we really are, but on what the digital tentatives and speculatives calculate us to be.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Yes, I agree. Way too much Big Brother in Todays Society. Have any of you seen that Melinda Gates (Bill Gates Wife) has been participating in the Bilderberg group the last couple of years? Thats a group of powerful people who has got the REAL influence in the world, pushing what is called the "New World Order". It seems they are now planning to get RFID now in everyones pocket, and even at some point in everybodys arm or hand. Thats what the Bilderberg group is about, total control of individuals (or servants) of the society. They now also seem to push Hillary (no matter what happens in the elections) for the new president, who is hardcore New World Order, if you dont believe me, just look it up for yourself.

Best regards.

• Help, Steve!! I cannot get your videos any more!! Our firewall is red-screening me. The earler ones I could get so what has changed?

By the way, I'd love to see anyone get on-line information about fires - short of a major incident - there's no time. Plus we guard data like Fort Knox

Madame Artois

• Data quality is a great point and it's certainly suspect in most places I've worked as well.

• I remember the first time that I ran into "data confusion" about me. Back in the early/mid 80's, I was driving home from work very late at night and my dash lights were out, little did I know that all of my running lights were out. Fortunately there was very little traffic.

A cop pulled me over and ran my ID while I was fiddling under the dash to try and get the lights working (this car was notorious for shorts). He comes back and asks if I know a so-and-so West, if he's a relative. I say no, the only West's in Phoenix are my immediate family. Cop says that he matches your general description (except height and weight) and is wanted by the military for desertion. He goes on to say "So if a cop pulls you over and pulls his gun on you, now you know why."

Boy, did that make me feel safe!

I know my credit report is inaccurate in reporting what accounts are open and closed. I have no doubts that any sort of amalgamated medical system would be just as notorious.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Thank you fo rbringing this to the surface - "airing it out" so to speak.

I grew up in a family of "huggers" and am one myself. I prize and cherish person to person contact. it seems to me that as systems mature we are doing that less and less. Outside of the Orwellian nature of this concept which by itself is frightening, these notions tend to redirect our relationship context. We seem to be moving more and more of what used to be person-to-person information exchanges to person-to-machine exchanges. Technology, when it enables people who wouldn't normally meet to have a interraction , is good. When it is a substitute for me picking up the phone or stopping by my friend Ken's house down the street is bad.

If I don't care for a person or situation - no hugs. If I can control (hopefully to some degree) the information that is available about me, I have control over the relationship - which should be a fundamental right. If I can not control I have no control over the way large groups of people and pseudo-people (corporate entities) relate to me and I them. This is tantamount to rape (personal violation) of a sort.

All of this is based on the notion that the information out there would be true. There is no end to the damage that cab be cuased if it is not.

One potentially good result from the spread of identity theft is that it makes people rethink notions like Super-Nanny systems. It makes them think twice about letting personal information out in the public arena. The crime of identity theft is despicable but without it we may not be as sensitive to this as we now may be.

The 60's are over. Thank God! However, the dingbat "all we need is love" concepts of that era are still alive in the dreams of the people now in power (this goes well beyond Hillary). In the spirit of fighting dumb with dumb - let's borrow a concept from Marx We, who develop, are the digital proletariat. Ultimately, we are the ones who will decide whether or not these systems get built. At the end of the day - it is not Them (the PowerPoint Wizards) but us who will make this nightmare a reality or not.

Maybe it is odd synchronicity that the late-late movie last night was "Nightmare on Elm Street." For us, if we fall asleep on the moral impact of development, will see these kinds of 'dreams' come back again and again.

• ... if this were the 24th century ...

... all need and want was eliminated ...

... money was no longer used ...

... we worked to better ourselves because we could ...

then I say yes

otherwise no

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• This is more "mindless" technology.

Somebody out there doesn't want us to think anymore, let somebody else make the decisions for you.

I vote with Steve, just give me the data and let me decide what to do with it. Our brains can filter the junk or unimportant stuff as fast as any system can.

Besides, I just might want to go watch that fire especially if it's (insert favorite subject here) ! 😛

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply