Mirroring and Clustering

• Can Mirroring be done between ms sql 2005 and ms sql 2008 Or Wise versa

Can Clustering be done between ms sql 2005 and ms sql 2008 Or Wise versa

If it is Possible send the related links

Thanks in advance

Parthi:cool:

Thanks
    Parthi

• First a question... why is this urgent?

Second.. What are you trying to do... What makes you think Mirroring and/or Clustering are something you might want to use?

From your questions, I'm guessing that you don't really understand the concepts very well. I would suggest a bit of research via Google or Bing.

Here are a couple of links from this site for a start:-

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SS2K5+-+High+Availability/3046/

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Installation/clustering_a_sql_server_machine_/344/

• Thanks for your replay Ian

I am just trying to test which one would be better(Mirroring and/or Clustering) thats it.

My theme is -whether it is possible to Mirror 2005 and 2008 or not.

My theme is -whether it is possible to Cluster 2005 and 2008 or not.

That is my question,some how you some information it is also useful

Thanks

Parthi:cool:

Thanks
    Parthi

• I would suggest that your look at the links that Ian has given to you, You need a better understanding of what you are trying to achieve, before you ask for any more help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• parthi-783546 (10/23/2009)

I am just trying to test which one would be better(Mirroring and/or Clustering) thats it.

They are 2 completely different things, which is why I asked what you were trying to achieve.

Mirroring provides you with another copy of your data on another server, and works at the database level i.e. it gives you data redundancy

Clustering provides you with server hardware redundancy, so if one server fails, another server is available to take over the workload... but it uses shared disks, so if they fail you have lost your data (or rather, you'll have to restore from backups).

• It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Mirroring is a great disaster recovery solution, but because it works at the database level, you need to be careful of systems that rely on multiple databases in order to work. If a drive for one of the databases fails, it can automatically fail over to the mirror if that's how you've configured it but then you'd end up with databases running on two servers which could potentially break the application. One advantage to mirroring is that physical proximity isn't as critical so you can mirror the database to an off site location located thousands of miles away.

Clustering is a great high availability solution but is limited in the distance that the two nodes can be separated. I've read something in the past that said not to cluster the nodes if they're more than 100 miles apart.

You can also consider log shipping and peer to peer replication as alternatives. Peer to peer actually allows you to load balance the database server and take hosts in and out of the topology. There are significant improvements in P2P in SQL 2008 that you might want to research. It's not difficult to setup but you need to take great care in what data is allowed to be written to each database or you could end up with conflict issues that need to be resolved.

So I guess it's back to "What end goal are you trying to achive?"

• Hi thanks for your replay

*My ultimate goal is to keep the data in-live as much as possible

*My Database 24/7 it is SQL 2005 EE

*DB size 10GB

*Appx per min 10000 records will take place (some time it may exceeds)

*Trans log backup for every 15 min

*Daily backup at 11:30pm it will take around 5-10 min

Which one is better for my production Mirroring OR Clustering

any suggestions would be appreciated

Downtime is max 15 min

Which one is Cheaper and best

Thanks

Parthi 😎

Thanks
    Parthi

• The short answer to your original question is no on both counts. Both mirroring and clustering rely on the physical structures of the database and logs - these change between versions of SQL Server.

As a DR solution I would question whether changing database versions (2005 vs 2008) when a disaster occurs is a good option. There are so many differences between them that, even if it were possible, I would recommend that you don't do it. You would need to be sure that the application is compatable with both versions, which can be a problem. Creating additional problems when you are already dealing with a disaster is not a good idea.

• happycar59 is correct. You need to do these between servers of the same version. Even if it were possible (you could log ship), one you failed over, you couldn't fail back as the database structure changes in 2008.

And you'd want to test failover fairly quickly after it was setup to be sure it works.

Is there a reason you would not want to use the same version on your DR server?

• As far as mirroring is concerned I believe that you can mirror from 2005 to 2008, but you won't be able to fail back to 2005 - which really makes it useless unless you are doing this as part of an upgrade.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply