Mini-Me

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Mini-Me

The podcast feeds are now available at http://sqlservercentral.podshow.comto get better bandwidth and maybe a little more exposure :). Comments are definitely appreciated and wanted. You can get feeds from there.

• Sounds like Linux ..... 🙂

• Who doesn't remember MS-DOS fitting on ONE 5.25" 360 Kb disk and controlling what worked and what not in the CONFIG.SYS? Trying to squeeze every last usable bit from 640 Kb of memory? The growing frustration as the system got slower when the harddisk got more fragmented and the drooling and amazement when you checked SI.EXE after an upgrade of motherboard and/or processor?

I've always wondered what all those versions of DOS after 3.30 added to usability and why DOS 6.0 finally barely fitted in compressed form on four (or was it five) 3,5" 720Kb disks when COMMAND.COM and MSDOS.SYS were all you needed.

But as the power delivered by the hardware increased and memory prices made it possible to upgrade almost weekly just on your allowance, I started to care less and less about what things were being installed by the OS and taking up memory and cycles. Especially since XP, I haven't worried one second about installing drivers or services anymore. Everything just seems to go smooth.

Same story with servers. When I implemented my first CRM system, I ordered dual processor system with 4 Gb of memory. Who cares about a couple of bucks if that guarantees the users won't have anything to complain about system response ?

So who cares about tweaking anymore ? Especially with today's prices, if performance lags, throw hardware at it 😛

• Two things - footprint and raw, blazing speed!

With a small footprint the target is small and much more manageable.

With a small kernel you can get blazing speed for what is important.

What I want to see is a mini-kernel on my server with a configuration utility running on another server/workstation that can configure the mini-kernel on the server for absolute essentials. I would imagine that the hardware vendor would configure the mini-kernel based on what they loaded up in the box. Then the server would boot and expose itself to be configured by the configuration application on the remote workstation.

There would be a deep fallback where you could flip a switch prior to bootup to give you back the original configuration OS if you somehow configured the server to be absolutely unconfigurable.

What vendor is going to give me this first?

• does this relates to Utility software.... I'm able to understand this word "Mini-Me"......

• John Reid (10/25/2007)

Sounds like Linux ..... 🙂

Yep... reminds me of the DSL[/url] distro.

My husband is always looking for operating systems with small footprints for random projects. He used the DSL distro when he built our picture frame from a salvaged laptop.

It'll be interesting to see Windows with a small footprint. 🙂

• John Reid (10/25/2007)

Sounds like Linux ..... 🙂

Yes it does. If they then introduce command line AppGet it will be the laugh heard round the world.

What it reminds me of the most is generating the OS for the 370 mainframe. Portions of the source code were surrounded by comment start and comment end cards. You enabled options by pulling OUT the cards around the part you wanted.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• VAIYDEYANATHAN.V.S (10/25/2007)

does this relates to Utility software.... I'm able to understand this word "Mini-Me"......

See ths entry in Wikipedia.

Mini-Me is a character played by Verne Troyer in the second and third Austin Powers movies; Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me and Austin Powers in Goldmember

ATBCharles Kincaid

• A slimmed down version of Windows would be nice, especially on the server side. Rather than a modern bloatware linux distro, I'd say this sounds more like a "Server Core Installation of Windows Server 2008".

It's basically "Windows Without Windows" that specifically loads the code for one of eight server roles: Active Directory Domain Services, Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services, DHCP Server, DNS Server, File Server, Print Server, Streaming Media Server or Web Server.

Want a file server? Install the file server version of the OS. Want a domain controller? Install the domain controller version of the OS. Want GUI administration tools? Go elsewhere.

What's missing? A SQL Server version, of course! I thought Steve mentioned this role-based version of Windows Server 2008 in a previous editorial, and lamented the lack of a SQL Server specific version.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/servercore.mspx

• :laugh:

Ken Johnson (10/25/2007)

a modern bloatware linux distro

:exclamationmark: .... that's rich - unlike Windows? Note that Server Core doesn't support .NET Framework, even though SQL2K5 requires it.

• CNTRL-H CNTRL-J CNTRL-K CNTRL-L

... ahh ... those were the days ... 😀

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• It's sure a relief that you are not looking for

mini-m(ilennium edition)e

That would not be good.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Definitely not mini-ME:w00t:

Server Core is cool. It's a good idea and a good start.

• ... I was wondering when "ME" would be referenced ... 😉

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Perhaps I should have used Mini-Windows, Mini-Steve

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply