Mini-Me

• First "ME"? Off the point I guess but anyone else try to integrate products into Windows Bob. It sounded great until I actually saw it.

There are certain products and notions where a "load what I need and when I need it" OS would be fantastic. Distributed, monitoring and medical applications are the first to come to mind. I am curious how this change could impact device integration and driver development.?

I remember loading windows machines without the GUI though I can not remember which versions gave you that option. I do recall though that it did improve speed and stability of the box along with allowing us to dedicate more resources to the applications.

Anyone familiar with grc? A read through this site will dramatically demonstrate some of the benefits realized in downsizing the windows install/kernel.

• This all gets back to a platform for actually implementing the SecureOS concept. Build the minimal core with no "windows or doors in", except for one pre-established protocol for "add-ons" to explicitly describe what rights, resources, etc... it needs.

No apps directly accessing hardware, ever. Every app runs within its own environment, seeing only a pseudo machine which has only the resources the owner stated the app would need...No jump contexts, escalation issues....

Hmm...It DOES sound like UNIX....:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Microsoft is a much larger world that most folks realize...

They already have what Steve is thinking about, it's called "Embedded XP", and then there's always Windows CE....

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply