Microsoft Certified Master

• Vedran Kesegic (6/21/2013)

Comparing that to Gail's 15 minute walk from home to test center, makes me jealous 🙂

15 minute drive, and that test center no longer exists, so the next time it'll be about a 12000km, 10 hour flight minimum (plus 3+ hours to get to the airport, etc, etc, etc)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Gail, if it is easier for you to come to Germany let me know.

I will take care of a quiet and separate room with a 16 Mbit internet connection for you here in Frankfurt City!

PROMISED 😉

@Vedran

As Robert has pointed out - the 2008 is not available in the test centers (and that's pretty good).

I've written about my experiences with Berlin in Germany.

It took me 5 (!!!!) starts to pass the lab; only ONE of them was a "real" failed!

All other have been stopped or finished in a technical desaster

I'm sure that I will do the MCSM-recerts - if possible - at home again!

Only risk:

You are responsible for your Hardware, Internet, Environment!

Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    MVP - Data Platform (2013 - ...)
    my blog: http://www.sqlmaster.de (german only!)

• I failed my exam (88-986). I think it become more difficult than for SQL Server 2008 but it is only my opinion.

I did it in Berlin. Test center was very crowded if compare with Moscow. If someone need more space during the test I would recommend take it in Moscow. Test room in Moscow times bigger than one in Berlin. And not many guys taking test in Moscow.

It was many guys taking TOEFL in Berlin during my exam.

• Just found out: I passed the knowlege exam - from the first attempt! Learning and experimenting night and day for 6 months payed off.

Now, the terrifying lab exam is in front of me, but I'm glad for the first step. 🙂

• congratulations:w00t:

Cheers,

JohnA

MCM: SQL2008

• Vedran Kesegic (7/19/2013)

Just found out: I passed the knowlege exam - from the first attempt! Learning and experimenting night and day for 6 months payed off.

Now, the terrifying lab exam is in front of me, but I'm glad for the first step. 🙂

Dear Vedran,

congratulation to the first step - now take the second one.

I'm crosing fingers (and know) you'll pass it.

GO FOR IT!

Hurry up because - as far as I know - the LAB for SQL 2008 will close end of January 2014 and the - new - MCSM lab will replace it (but not really sure about it!)

• Thanks!

How many people passed the lab exam from the first attempt?

Trying to figure out is it really possible or not to hope.

• My guess would be *very few* if any.

If you are remoting from outside the US, the latency can make things quite a bit harder.

Last year at PASS they had booths where people could take the lab exam. I wish I could go, that would be a perfect opportunity to take it with minimal latency involved.

Cheers,

JohnA

MCM: SQL2008

• That number is very small, but it does happen. I passed on the first attempt as did Brent Ozar and 2 others in my rotation when I went through the old program. Historically, the number of people who pass on the first attempt has been < 30% and when the exams were expanded and no longer included a training aspect to the program, that number dropped to < 20%.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Vedran Kesegic (7/25/2013)

Thanks!

How many people passed the lab exam from the first attempt?

Trying to figure out is it really possible or not to hope.

It's very possible. But as Robert said, very few people did it.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• If you are remoting from outside the US, the latency can make things quite a bit harder.

Last year at PASS they had booths where people could take the lab exam. I wish I could go, that would be a perfect opportunity to take it with minimal latency involved.

I took the remote lab exam delivery in Australia and didn't face any latency issue. I've tested my broadband bandwidth and its around 400kbps. High speed would be great but I reckon it wouldn't make a huge difference. I reckon the key is stable internet access with at least 300kbps of available bandwidth to support the Microsoft Lync client with audio and video. 300kbps bandwidth is stated in the document sent to you when you register for the lab exam and I agree.

Few days before the exam, your proctor will contact you and allow you to connect to the VM lab and you can assess things like broadband latency, etc. I type pretty fast and don't find difference between typing on my computer vs the remote lab.

I've written a blog about my experience, hope it helps someway.

http://sqlsimonl.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/simon-liew-microsoft-certified-master.html#!/2013/02/simon-liew-microsoft-certified-master.html

My advice is not to benchmark how many people passed in their first attempt. Everyone's different. Passing an exam doesn't mean you're superior, failing the exam doesn't mean you're not good. Its a learning journey and enjoy every moment along the way. My learning habit hasn't change a bit after obtaining MCM. I have met many experts and they're humble and earns more than I. There are many other skills than MCM to make a good consultant.

Good luck and congrats on passing the written exam 😉

Simon Liew

• SimonLiew (7/25/2013)My advice is not to benchmark how many people passed in their first attempt. Everyone's different. Passing an exam doesn't mean you're superior, failing the exam doesn't mean you're not good. Its a learning journey and enjoy every moment along the way. My learning habit hasn't change a bit after obtaining MCM. I have met many experts and they're humble and earns more than I. There are many other skills than MCM to make a good consultant.

Good luck and congrats on passing the written exam 😉

Simon,

pretty well written. Will have a look to your blog 🙂

• Thanks, Simon, I really enjoy the journey.

My lab exam is scheduled for tomorrow :w00t:

Preparations were intensive, but we'll see, hope dies last 🙂

I have a question regarding the exam logging for grading.

Do I have to log just the commands/answers or also write explanations and comments of the code there?

Because if I will write explanations, logging will take a considerable amount of time from the exam.

• There isn't a logging aspect any more. There's is only doing.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Thanks, Robert!

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 223 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply