MCSA 70-462 Training Kit Preparation: Hyper-V Lab Environment Setup

• And the answer is easy to find again from that smart guy called "Google". If you search for:

hiper-v guest internet access

you will get

http://superuser.com/questions/469806/windows-8-hyper-v-how-to-give-vm-internet-access

However if you do that it is possible that the VMs will not see each other anymore. Remember you have to put them under the same domain, which is different from your host. I am not sure how to deal with this.

It is possible though to share a folder from the host with the guest(s) and then you can download whatever you need on host, copy it into the shared folder after which you can access it from the gust(s) as well.

Don't just give the hungry man a fish, teach him how to catch it as well.

the sqlist

• "Shared folders" saved the day; thanks again! (I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the pieces to VMs; amazing stuff!)

Here's a new question (maybe a little off-topic to this thread, but I'll ask anyway).

Trying to install a second SQL instance onto the SQL-A, SQL-B and SQL-CORE machines, per Chapter-2's exercises:

- When I use the Installation Center GUI for the SQL-A machine, all ran fine.

- When I use an elevated command prompt on SQL-B to run ...

c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2012>

Setup.exe /qs /Action=Install /Features=SQLEngine /InstanceName=Alternate /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="Contoso\Kim_Akers" /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms

... I get an error message:

"The following error occurred:

The product version cannot be retrieved from mediainfo.xml in '' and Property BaselineVersion.

Error result: -2054422481

Result facility code: 1420

Result error code: 47

Please review the summary.txt log for further details."

(The summary.txt file gives no indication that anything went wrong.)

- Here's what really surprised me: When I use the Installation Center GUI for the SQL-B machine, all ran fine.

- When I use an elevated command prompt to run that same Setup on SQL-CORE, I get the same "Version cannot be retrieved" message.

The XML file itself seems OK:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<MediaInfo>

<Properties>

<Property ID="MediaLayout" Value="Full" />

<Property ID="BaseLineVersion" Value="11.0.2100.60" />

</Properties>

</MediaInfo>

I'm under the impression all three VMs are using the same ISO to install the instance. If that's the case, am I missing something really basic here?

TIA, as always, for any insight you can share here!

RC

• Do not install them at the same time, if that is what you did. Another thing is that it is possible that running the command line generates the problem. I never got to that par though so I don't know what to say. Are you using Windows 2008 or 2012?

the sqlist

• Nope; made sure to run installs at different times. (I thought the same thing...)

What I can't figure out, is why SQL-B worked when using the GUI, but not when using the command line. (Starting to lose faith in this training kit...!)

Host machine is Windows 8; VMs are all Windows Server 2012.

• rcowley 35231 (8/27/2014)

What I can't figure out, is why SQL-B worked when using the GUI, but not when using the command line. (Starting to lose faith in this training kit...!)

Host machine is Windows 8; VMs are all Windows Server 2012.

That is the thing, I guess. The kit book is for Windows 2008 as guests and the commands could be different and not work in W2012. In my case I couldn't use the command line commands from Chapter 1 to change the computer name, IP and to add it to the contso.com domain. I had to use UI for these operations. I would say to use UI to instal on core machine as well, if possible.

the sqlist

• [Sorry, should have mentioned this in my original post:]

Tried installing from the UI on SQL-CORE ( "c:\..> setup.exe UIMode -EnableUIOnServerCore"), but got the same error message. :crying:

• Thank you so much for putting this article together, I could kiss you!

• Great article.

I've never used Window Server 8 or Hyper-v. I just bought a used dell 1950 server with fresh install of Windows 2008 R2. My personal PC is a Dell All In One PC running Windows 8 home. When you talk about the "Windows Host Machine", would that be the Window Server or the Windows 8 PC. Page 2 of the doc talks about Hyper-V Setup Steps? Does this occur on the Windows Server or the Windows 8 PC?

If the answers are the windows 8 PC then I am out of luck as Windows 8 home does not support HyperV. Any ideas, thoughts, help would be appreciated.

• Previous posters have two possible suggestions

Set up labs using Windows Azure

Paulo A. Nascimento (11/25/2013)

Nice article indeed, as already said.

For those who cannot or not have access for a Hyper-V host, there's also another possibility: setup the lab in Windows Azure, like described here.

Good solution if you have the funds, this does not require anything software to be installed on your computers

Oracle VM VirtualBox - free Virtual machine software, the instructions would not be exactly the same as the on this blog, however it would be possible to do. Also would require to install the software and host the VM's on a computer. Would also need sufficient RAM and disk space to run the VM's

the sqlist (11/25/2013)

I was able to install all the servers described in the prep book using the instructions from the book. In my case instead of Hyper-V I used the Oracle VM VirtualBox software, which is free, and I also setup AlwaysOn between some of the servers because I actually had to test that technology at work.

Oracle VM VirtualBox presents the advantage that is very easy to use, just install the software from here:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

There also VMWare workstation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware_Workstation. Which is the VM software l use, not free like Oracle VM VirtualBox, l have found it to be more reliable than VirtualBox. That l should stress is just my personal observation, I'm sure other people would disagree 😀

• Thank you for the amazing article, very helpful.

• I really had no idea where to start. I'm still following directions blindly but at least I feel like this is possible now. Thanks so much!

• Thanks a lot. You may want to edit the article a little bit since on Window 8.1 you can choose from two types of VM generations (and of course I incorrectly select the later one).

• I am looking to start 70-462 course and was considering paying for access to labs to work through the book but I will be looking at implementing this....Fantastic article!

• This will be amazingly helpful to setup the configuration at home as I begin to study for the MCSA SQL Server 2014 Certification.

I am resitting the 461 and 462 courses the next 2 weeks, and I am in the process of setting up my home computers again so I can have test environments for all sorts of things. So, this article couldn't have come at a better time for me.

Thanks.

• Great article, it's always good to show it again, as there is always people studying.

One question that came into my mind: is it possible to leverage Differencing Virtual Hard Drives for the SQL Server installations too? I mean, install SQL Server only once on the initial HD Image (then for DC server just disable the SQL services), and then create all VMs changing the server names and save some disk space and time in this process?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply