Login timeout expired

• I am running Windows Small Business Server 2012 (Windows 2008R2 OS) with SQL Server 2008R2 running on the server.

I have one XP client PC and 1 Windows 7 client PC.

Problem:

Only occurs on the Windows 7 Client PC, not on the XP Client PC.

When I first try to connect to SQL Server via a program (Ex: Excel 2010 > Data > From Other Sources > From SQL Server and some other application programs) the programs wait for approximately 20 seconds and then displays the message 'Login timeout expired'. When I click on the OK Button and try again the connection is made immediately without a problem.

I have tried turning off the Antivirus program and the Windows Firewall on the Windows 7 Client PC but the problem still occurs.

IN SSMS Server Properties > Connections > Remote server connections > Allow remote connections to this server is checked.

Remote query timeout (in seconds, 0 = no timeout) the value is 600.

SQL Server Configuration Manager has the following protocols enabled in the following order:

Share Memory, TCI/IP, Named Pipes.

I tried changing the order to Shared Memory, Named Pipes, TCP/IP, restarting SQL Server Services and the problem still existed.

I tried disabling Shared Memory and the problem still existed.

If I turn off UAC (User Account Control) on the Windows 7 Client PC the problem goes away. However, this is not a good solution as I have clients that run my application software and will not want to turn this security feature.

Oddly enough, when I stopped the Windows Firewall Service on the Server and then ran Excel again I got the error [DBNETLIB] ConnectionOpen (Connect()) SQL Server does not exist or access is denied.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem other than turning off UAC on the Client PC will be greatly appreciated as I have run out of ideas.

Thanks

Howard

• hmbtx (3/11/2012)

I am running Windows Small Business Server 2012 (Windows 2008R2 OS) with SQL Server 2008R2 running on the server.

I have one XP client PC and 1 Windows 7 client PC.

Problem:

Only occurs on the Windows 7 Client PC, not on the XP Client PC.

When I first try to connect to SQL Server via a program (Ex: Excel 2010 > Data > From Other Sources > From SQL Server and some other application programs) the programs wait for approximately 20 seconds and then displays the message 'Login timeout expired'. When I click on the OK Button and try again the connection is made immediately without a problem.

I have tried turning off the Antivirus program and the Windows Firewall on the Windows 7 Client PC but the problem still occurs.

IN SSMS Server Properties > Connections > Remote server connections > Allow remote connections to this server is checked.

Remote query timeout (in seconds, 0 = no timeout) the value is 600.

SQL Server Configuration Manager has the following protocols enabled in the following order:

Share Memory, TCI/IP, Named Pipes.

I tried changing the order to Shared Memory, Named Pipes, TCP/IP, restarting SQL Server Services and the problem still existed.

I tried disabling Shared Memory and the problem still existed.

If I turn off UAC (User Account Control) on the Windows 7 Client PC the problem goes away. However, this is not a good solution as I have clients that run my application software and will not want to turn this security feature.

Oddly enough, when I stopped the Windows Firewall Service on the Server and then ran Excel again I got the error [DBNETLIB] ConnectionOpen (Connect()) SQL Server does not exist or access is denied.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem other than turning off UAC on the Client PC will be greatly appreciated as I have run out of ideas.

Thanks

Howard

Do you see anything in the SQL Server errorlog?

• Ignacio:

Thank you for your reply.

No, I did not see anything in the SQL Server Logs.

I went into SSMS > Management > SQL Server Logs > Current - 3/11/2012 and did not see anything related to my problem. In fact nothing at the time of error was logged.

Thanks

Howard

• Hi Howard, could you please tell me if you are using Windows authentication or SQL Server authentication? Thanks in advance!

• You may also try to connect the ip address and the port number instead of the Servername.

• I am using SQL Server authentication.

• hmbtx (3/11/2012)

I am using SQL Server authentication.

Do you have the same problem when you use the IP address and the port number instead of the servername?

• Yes, I get the same error.

For the Server Name I entered 10.1.1.100:1433

Thanks

Howard

• hmbtx (3/11/2012)

Yes, I get the same error.

For the Server Name I entered 10.1.1.100:1433

Thanks

Howard

Still no error on the SQL Server Errorlog? You may also try enabling only the TCP/IP Protocol, all the other protocols can be disable, check if the XP connectivity still works after doing this, just to be sure.

• Do I need to stop and restart the sqlserver services after I disable all the procotols except TCP?

• Yes! Check this link.

• I enbaled only the TCP/IP Protocol, all the other protocols were disabled and restarted mssqlserver service.

I still got the error.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Howard

• hmbtx (3/12/2012)

I enbaled only the TCP/IP Protocol, all the other protocols were disabled and restarted mssqlserver service.

I still got the error.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Howard

Howard, do you have the same problem when connecting using SSMS?

• I do not have SSMS installed on the Windows 7 computer.

• hmbtx (3/12/2012)

I do not have SSMS installed on the Windows 7 computer.

In your first post you mentioned experiencing the problem when connecting via a program and you mentioned EXCEL as one of the programs, which other programs are you using to connect?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply