Login timeout expired

• What happends if you run excel as an administrator?

• hmbtx (3/11/2012)

Yes, I get the same error.

For the Server Name I entered 10.1.1.100:1433

Thanks

Howard

Try 10.1.1.100,1433

• In Excel using 10.1.1.100,1433 or 10.1.1.100:1433 as the server name it will not work. In fact neither of them will connect to the server even after I click OK on the error message [DBNETLIB] ConnectionOpen (Connect()) SQL Server does not exist or access is denied.

However, I can successfully ping 10.1.1.100 from the Windows 7 PC.

Entering the Server Name will connect to the server after I click OK on the 'Login timeout expired' message box appears.

Please keep in mind that if I shut off UAC on the Windows 7 PC the problem goes away. The problem is my clients sys admin do not want to shut off UAC.

Thanks

Howard

• What happends when you run excel as an administrator? Shift+Right click and choosing run as an administrator.

• Good news. When I run excel as an administrator? Shift+Right click and choose run as an administrator it works. No problems.

However, on my application that runs on the server I had to first go the program executable on the server and click on Properties > Compatibility > Compatibility Mode > click on 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7). Then on the Windows 7 Client PC I still had to right click on the desktop icon and select Run as administrator. I then had to click OK on the UAC message box to get the application to run. On the desktop icon I cannot change anything on the compatibility tab as it states something to the effect that it is running from the server.

Do you have any suggestions about how I can make it where the user only has to click on the desktop icon on the Windows 7 computer to run my application?

I realize that this is no longer an SQL problem but I just thought that I would ask you the question.

You have been a big help in getting me this far.

Thanks

Howard

• hmbtx (3/12/2012)

Good news. When I run excel as an administrator? Shift+Right click and choose run as an administrator it works. No problems.

However, on my application that runs on the server I had to first go the program executable on the server and click on Properties > Compatibility > Compatibility Mode > click on 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7). Then on the Windows 7 Client PC I still had to right click on the desktop icon and select Run as administrator. I then had to click OK on the UAC message box to get the application to run. On the desktop icon I cannot change anything on the compatibility tab as it states something to the effect that it is running from the server.

Do you have any suggestions about how I can make it where the user only has to click on the desktop icon on the Windows 7 computer to run my application?

I realize that this is no longer an SQL problem but I just thought that I would ask you the question.

You have been a big help in getting me this far.

Thanks

Howard

Hi Howard, I'm happy to hear that you were able to connect. In regard to your question, I don't think I'll be able to answer it, but I found some links which I hope can help you in finding an answer:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512639.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709628(v=ws.10).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms156468.aspx

Good luck and please let me know if you were able to solve the issue, if I get some extra time I may look a bit more into it.

• ok.. Some time this is problem occur with window7 and

sql server 2008r2 dont worry try this

Run sqlserver management studio with run as administrator option and click on the option button of login screen and change network protocol option from default to TCP/IP

• CDeepak:

You said to "Run sqlserver management studio with run as administrator option and click on the option button of login screen and change network protocol option from default to TCP/IP "

How would the manner in which SSMS connects to the database have any effect on the Windows 7 client PC connecting to the database?

Thanks

Howard

• Ignacio and CDeepak:

Thank you for your replies.

In reference to my question below:

I believe I found the answer at the following link:

http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/run-a-program-with-administrative-privileges-without-uac-prompts/

Howard

• hmbtx (3/13/2012)

Ignacio and CDeepak:

Thank you for your replies.

In reference to my question below:

I believe I found the answer at the following link:

http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/run-a-program-with-administrative-privileges-without-uac-prompts/

Howard

Hi Howard, great to hear that you found a solution to your problem. From your post I'm not sure if you already implemented the solution. I hope it works.

• Ignacio:

It works.

I really want to thank you for all of your help.

It was your suggestions that ultimately lead me to the solution.

Thanks again,

Howard

• Haven't read the entire thread, just curious if you posted your solution? Others may find it useful.

• Howard, I'm glad that I could help.

@Lynn: Howard added the link where he found the solution to his problem. http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/run-a-program-with-administrative-privileges-without-uac-prompts/

• Ignacio A. Salom Rangel (3/13/2012)

Howard, I'm glad that I could help.

@Lynn: Howard added the link where he found the solution to his problem. http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/run-a-program-with-administrative-privileges-without-uac-prompts/

Thank you.

• You are welcome!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply