Login failed for user 'xx'. Reason: Password did not match that for the login provided

• Hi All,

I have an issue which is in SQL Error log saying : “Login failed for user 'xx'. Reason: Password did not match that for the login provided”

Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 8.

That error shows up every few minutes ..

I asked my infrastructure team , password for that particular user and he said “test” so I reset password for xx with password :”test”

But the same error still comes up

What I should do ?

Any idea ? I really appreciate for any feedback

Cheers

• HI,

The below given link has very good information, please try if this can help you.

http://sqlserver-help.com/2014/07/08/help-how-to-find-cause-of-login-failed-for-user-error/

• Hi… Thanks for taking time to reply my posting . Much appreciate it

I just checked the server properties . Server authentication is SQL server and Windows Authentication mode (was checked since the first installation I guess ) and login auditing ? Failed logins only

I couldn’t find why this error comes up …

Any idea please ?

• Moreover I am able to connect sql using that username and password ..( via SSMS )

• Is something else (e.g. an app server) trying to log in with the wrong password? There should be an IP address- can you trace that back to a hostname (ping -a)?

• Many thanks for the feedback .

How do i trace it back to a hostname ?

• Probably it could be a service in application server which continuously running.

Well, if you get this error every minute, run the profiler for a while and find the host where it is coming from.

• Have a look at the SQL error log. It should say something like "Login failed for user 'xxx' [CLIENT:] and then give an IP address.

Then start up a command prompt window and do ping -a IPADDRESSGOESHERE

You should get a result that says something like "pinging machine name with 32 bytes of data"- find out whose machine that is, and you should be able to trace the failed login attempts.

• With Mixed authentication, it sounds like there could be an application with a connection string somewhere using the wrong authentication method. In other words, it's using SQL Server authentication when it should be using Windows Authentication (Trusted) or vice-versa.

It's also possible there is a hard-coded password in a connection string or ODBC connection somewhere .

• Run a trace , find the hostname and IP address

Since its a SQL login the password is hardcoded somewhere this means its either coming from a connection string in an application ( in which case why haven't users complained?) or within a Service or SQL agent Job in which case the service or the Job should have logged error messages in event viewer, look for the error in the IP address found when running the trace.

Last option is some user directly connecting using SSMS in which case you dont need to do anything until the user complains? if the user doesnt complain then disable the account.

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• Hi ....

Thats a very good idea ...

I asked my team checking that particular client application ..

• Thanks for your kind feedback guys .. really appreciate it

• Sorry for waking up an old thread, but I prefer to keep like topics together, regardless of age.

My issue seemed focussed on the backup jobs.

I have tested the theory by editing the maintenance jobs, to make sure they were saved with the valid account data.

I will know for sure in the morning. As an aside, my issues started with the installation of SQL 2016. First it locked it out, then it declared the password invalid, even though I never changed it.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• In my case its showing - Login failed for user 'MyUsername'. Reason: Password did not match that for the login provided. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

what to do?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply