Links in forum posts

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, March 13, 2018 3:26 PM

Ed Wagner - Tuesday, March 13, 2018 12:13 PM

I did the same thing last summer.  I gave them a multi-level outlined list of all the stuff I found.  Some of it was fixed and some of it wasn't.  What's surprising is that they didn't keep a list of the stuff they didn't fix and use it as a hit list of what to do next.  User feedback, especially from the types of people on this site, is invaluable and assessing how a site is used.  I'd think that they'd want to use every bit of it they could get.

I understand your frustration, and I have some as well. However, we all build software. The reports from customer A or user B aren't necessarily a list that dictates what work is done. There are all sorts of competing items, so I can understand why everything hasn't been fixed. I'm not sure what has been tackled, but I know that some of the things you report, I don't experience, and likely the reverse is true.

We know all that... that's what makes it so bloody frustrating.  And, yes... we do build software but, I have to tell you, I've not seen such a reversal of functionality as with this new forum software in a very "long" time (heh... SQL Server 2012 pre-SP3 or SQL Server 2005 RTM or SQL Server 2000 SP4;) ).  I missed the other crap shoot (poor SSIS) for 2014 because we jumped from 2012 to 2016. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, March 13, 2018 4:34 PM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, March 13, 2018 3:26 PM

I did the same thing last summer.  I gave them a multi-level outlined list of all the stuff I found.  Some of it was fixed and some of it wasn't.  What's surprising is that they didn't keep a list of the stuff they didn't fix and use it as a hit list of what to do next.  User feedback, especially from the types of people on this site, is invaluable and assessing how a site is used.  I'd think that they'd want to use every bit of it they could get.

I understand your frustration, and I have some as well. However, we all build software. The reports from customer A or user B aren't necessarily a list that dictates what work is done. There are all sorts of competing items, so I can understand why everything hasn't been fixed. I'm not sure what has been tackled, but I know that some of the things you report, I don't experience, and likely the reverse is true.

We know all that... that's what makes it so bloody frustrating.  And, yes... we do build software but, I have to tell you, I've not seen such a reversal of functionality as with this new forum software in a very "long" time (heh... SQL Server 2012 pre-SP3 or SQL Server 2005 RTM or SQL Server 2000 SP4;) ).  I missed the other crap shoot (poor SSIS) for 2014 because we jumped from 2012 to 2016. 😉

We all understand competing pressure for development resources. But I think you hit it on the head here Jeff, the new forum software is such a colossal step backwards in functionality that is it painful to witness. Even worse when it is left to die on the vine because other matters are more important for redgate. This is understandable as the website is likely just a money siphon at best.

Jeff  - Windows ME comes to mind as a good example. 😉

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange - Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:53 AM

Jeff Moden - Tuesday, March 13, 2018 4:34 PM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, March 13, 2018 3:26 PM

We all understand competing pressure for development resources. But I think you hit it on the head here Jeff, the new forum software is such a colossal step backwards in functionality that is it painful to witness. Even worse when it is left to die on the vine because other matters are more important for redgate. This is understandable as the website is likely just a money siphon at best.

Jeff  - Windows ME comes to mind as a good example. 😉

Windows ME - there's a great example of an release that never should have happened.  I don't know if it was a bug in their release process, but the OS itself sucked.  If you look at system properties of a Windows ME computer on the network, it reported itself as Windows 95.  This was not the case with Windows 98.

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, March 13, 2018 4:34 PM

Ah, but remember you're seeing a reversal because of certain things you do. In many ways, the software has improved for me. Some things still not fixed, but many improved. Certainly new habits needed, but overall an improvement. A few things less helpful, but I'd rate this as an improvement.

The same goes for SQL Server (and other products). A few things got better, a few worse, many the same for my usage.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply