I've had the same problem with the new software. How I address it is:
1. Where I'm ready to paste a link, I use Ctrl-V to paste the text.
2. Click the mouse beyond the link I pasted. This is necessary because using paste repositions the cursor somewhere else and I can't just continue typing.
3. I then type something after it, even if it's only a space or period. Something has to come after the pasted text.
4. Using the mouse, select the text of the link I pasted in and hit Ctrl-C to copy it.
5. Then use the Link button to link the text. If the link isn't created automatically and the dialog is displayed, I can paste in the URL I just copied.
In theory, step 4 is completely unnecessary, but it becomes necessary if I type anything between steps 1 and 4. Copying and pasting is just a natural part of typing for me, so I developed a habit of doing step 4 so I don't have to close the dialog, copy the URL and click the Link button again.
Is it a PITA? Of course. Has the frustration factor of the editor cut down on my posting? Absolutely. Do I believe the problems will be fixed eventually? Yes.