Length

• Duncan Pryde (4/12/2011)

Pouliot Philippe (4/11/2011)

I want my point!

So do I - which is why I'm replying here. That way I get my point for the post!

I came to this question late, and managed to pick the same "wrong" answer as everyone else. I'm not going to complain though - as bitbucket said earlier in the thread, people who really care about question quality can try submitting some themselves, as he and I have done. 😛

Oh, and one advantage of submitting your own questions is that barring a monumental fail you're guaranteed to get them correct!

• If the question is wrong, it should be corrected and all points removed, so people get another go.

QOTD is a great way for learning snippets of SQL Server, so long may it continue 🙂

• Hmmm, weird.

In the newsletter, the question is about nvarchar(30). On the site, the data type is nchar(30). Maybe Steve changed the question after seeing all the messages? Usually, he also posts to the topic if he does, but I see no such message this time.

Anyway, I lost a point because I didn't double-check the question on the web site. I saw the question in the mail, knew the answer to be 4, and blindly submitted that answer. Rats!

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• @hugo,

I am quite sure that on Friday when this question first appeared that the nvarchar definition was on the web site as well as the email (which of course won't change once it's gone out). Too many of us got it "wrong" for us to have missed that. I'm sure others will attest to that.

But it's been entertaining to read the posts about the error.

Bob

• Everyone will get points back and I have corrected the question. Apologies for not fixing this earlier.

You do not have to post to get points back. When we have an incorrect question, everyone will get points back.

• Hugo Kornelis (4/12/2011)

Hmmm, weird.

In the newsletter, the question is about nvarchar(30). On the site, the data type is nchar(30). Maybe Steve changed the question after seeing all the messages? Usually, he also posts to the topic if he does, but I see no such message this time.

Anyway, I lost a point because I didn't double-check the question on the web site. I saw the question in the mail, knew the answer to be 4, and blindly submitted that answer. Rats!

The question on the site used to be about nvarchar and not nchar. The answer however was based on nchar. A lot of people missed this one due to the mix-up. Join the crowd.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/12/2011)

Everyone will get points back and I have corrected the question. Apologies for not fixing this earlier.

You do not have to post to get points back. When we have an incorrect question, everyone will get points back.

That point will go a long ways 😀

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Everyone will get points back and I have corrected the question. Apologies for not fixing this earlier.

Thanks, Steve!

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• bradphilp (4/10/2011)The answer is 6. How do these people actually consider themselves professional when they cant even answer questions they write?

How deliciously ironic!

• Not sure which is worse - a mistake in the question, or the fact that a squillion people feel obliged to point it out despite there already being several pages of posts doing the same thing :rolleyes:

• It's like people in traffic, caused by accident, you know 🙂 Nothing is happening, but everyone has to stop and stare, even if the accident happened on the opposite side of the road 😀

I guess, when you do reply, you don't realize, that there is already 14 pages of it 🙂 true story...happened to me 😀

• And yes, they choose the easy way. Edited the question from nvarchar to nchar.

A very sad thing.

• palotaiarpad (4/12/2011)

And yes, they choose the easy way. Edited the question from nvarchar to nchar.

A very sad thing.

Sad indeed but I have to say I would be very tempted to do the same thing just to spurn all the people complaining about loosing the point.

Oooh one more point! What can I spend it on? 😛

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• Hugo Kornelis (4/12/2011)

Hmmm, weird.

Steve changed the question on the website earlier today. He was unable to shuffle points just then and was going to do that and post a message here later.

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 138 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply