Length

• In question i think there should be nchar instead of nvarchar then the answer will be correct

• mohammed moinudheen (4/7/2011)

Books online reference below.

nvarchar [ ( n | max ) ]

Variable-length Unicode character data. n can be a value from 1 through 4,000. max indicates that the maximum storage size is 2^31-1 bytes. The storage size, in bytes, is two times the number of characters entered + 2 bytes. The data entered can be 0 characters in length. The ISO synonyms for nvarchar are national char varying and national character varying.

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v10/MS.SQLSVR.v10.en/s10de_6tsql/html/81ee5637-ee31-4c4d-96d0-56c26a742354.htm

Answer should be 6.

The correct answer is 4 - run the code.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Shocked again :sick: total mismatch between question and answer :exclamationmark:

• Ho-Hum Question about one topic, answer about another.... Explains why i got it "wrong" Seems to me however, that it is the published answer that is wrong for the question....

we wait and see...

• Agreed, either the question should be changed to use NCHAR or the answer should be updated to correctly be 4. We're CS people, accuracy and correctness is important in our lives! 😉 I'm sure I'm not the only one irked by the fact that the question is blatantly broken (see what I did there, that alliteration? Awesome eh?).

The answer is definitely not 6, it must be a result of the DATALENGTH() function not of DB storage.

Since I posted my answer another 50+ people have all answered and suffered through it 🙁

• Wake up and then post a question.

• Answer is completly Wrong

declare @a nvarchar(30)

set @a='aa'

select datalength(@a)

Answer as per sql server is 4

• I too have answered it as '4',but the answer is based on nchar(30) whereas the question is for nvarchar(30).This is really unfair to all those who answered '4' instead of '60'.

---
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it.

Sunitha
    😎

• For your code shown below I totally disagree with your answer

declare @a nvarchar(30) -- See the Difference

set @a='aa'

select datalength(@a)

Explanation: u have declared Variable-length Unicode character data and the answer for your above code is 4

Justification: The storage size, in bytes, is two times the number of characters entered + 2 bytes -- for nvarchar

If you have posted the code as shown below then your answer is correct and I Agree.

declare @a nchar(30) -- See the Difference

set @a='aa'

select datalength(@a)

Explanation: If you have declared Fixed-length Unicode character data of n characters then the answer is 60 and you are correct

Justification: The storage size is two times n bytes -- for nchar.

Conclusion: My Answer is Correct

Advice: Before you post this type of question(s), I would Advice you to verify the answer twice or thrice.

Regards,

Lakshmikanth

Project Lead

• Question and answer don't match up, I answered 4 based on the question to only find out that I was wrong but sure that I was right. Entering the forum I see I am not the only one that got it wrong.

Can I get my point now please....

😀

• Steve, are you responsible for QoD selections? Shame on you!

Jaap.

If you cant do things the way they must be done, do them the way you can ...

• Like most others I would say 4 - surprised at what the answer "should" have been.

Ran the code against different servers 2005, 2008 , 2008 R2 (in case that made a difference) and got

4 every time.

set childish_tanrum on

want my points!

set childish_tanrum off

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• I'm take aback by the fact this question made it on to the site.

Come on Steve, you seem to be letting any Tom, Dick and Harry set questions.

• Good question - pity the answer was given was wrong :-). Alas folks we're not robots and everyone is allowed a mistake...

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 138 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply