Learn A Bit More

• ST_John (7/31/2009)

I've been going to SQL Bits since number 3, they are fantastic. I actually enjoy them more and feel I learn mor from them that the paid for conferences. At the paid for ones it feels like there is a lot of pressure to deliver enough content to make the deligates (and the people who paid for them) feel that they had got their moneys worth. The free ones are a lot mere relaxed and somehow seem to deliver more out of it (at least SQL Bits do)

I'll definatly be going to the next one, and also doing my best to talk all my friends and collegues into going to (OK. Just the ones that are into SQL Server!) 😀

Maybe see some of you peeps there too?

John

I was at the last one (I volunteered to help out, so you may have spotted me when registering behind the desk - I may even have handed you your lanyard + badge!)

I will be going to the next one, despite the fact that I'll have to catch a 6am train from Leeds to Newport on the Saturday

I can't travel down the night before as I have tickets to Motorhead in Leeds - what a rock'n'roll weekend that will be 😀

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bite-sized fiction (with added teeth) [/url]

• The only free training events down where I live are usergroup meetings and Microsoft's DevDays and TechDays (which happen once a year). I make a point of going to those as well as usergroup meetings if the topic is relevant.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Grant Fritchey (7/31/2009)

I guess my question is, why would you NOT go to one of these events? Fear that maybe the people presenting don't know what they're talking about? So leave the session. It only costs some time, which, while important, is something that you should be spending to increase your knowledge and employability.

The main reason I don't go is that many are not local. If it is within a 60 mile radius of my home, then I can go. I don't have the time or money to fly to free events.

• My company is usually very good about paying for travel and conferences, but it is not in the budget to travel this year. They will pay for webinars and online training and allow us to do it during work time. I am new to SQL server, so I have not been to any conferences yet.

I am from central Wisconsin, and the closest SQL Saturday event is in Iowa City. They will not pay for the travel, but I am considering paying for it myself.

For those of you from Wisconsin and Illinois, we might be able to get an event closer, if there is enough interest. To request a SQL Saturday, go to: http://www.sqlsaturday.com/interested.aspx

Thanks,

Sarah 🙂

• I believe that is a truly legitimate reason..distance factors and time and cost involved in getting there. There are lot of 'not so legitimate' ones that I know of - my boss says very often if you want a 9 to 5 job with no extra time for learning or updating your skills then technology is a very wrong choice. I understand truly that people's choices may be complex than that - but as Andy said to stay 'employable' and competitive one has to make some sacrifies, time is one of them especially in this field.

• Heh... I live in Michigan, an Oracle/DB2 state where the weak are killed and eaten. 😛 Most free events are product propaganda here. Even the better ones suck because people just don't know how to present or teach. That's part of the reason I started some "Developer to Developer" mini-courses in T-SQL for my local PASS group. I've only taught twice because most folks expect free soda and pop to the tune of about 300 bucks for a 2 hour night... that means we need sponsors and they usually only agree if they can push product for 1 or 2 hours. Sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes it's not.

I'm like many of the others. I can neither afford the time nor the money to fly to a "free" event no matter how good it may be. Shoot... I have a hard time getting time off even for things like PASS or a good long nap for that matter.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I attended SQLSaturday in Baton Rouge on Saturday, Aug 1 and it was definitely worth the drive from New Orleans and my time. It was 6 hours of Sql and .Net net developement. I did not get to Steve's session. I figure if I keep training current I won't need to get out my resume.:-) Yes, I have a family and things I'd like to do on a Saturday. But I feel I need to take advantage of opportunities to learn and be a more productive developer.

Terri

To speak algebraically, Mr. M. is execrable, but Mr. C. is
    (x+1)-ecrable.
    Edgar Allan Poe
    [Discussing fellow writers Cornelius Mathews and William Ellery Channing.]

• Terri (7/31/2009)

I will be driving from New Orleans to Baton Rouge tomorrow morning (1.5 hour drive) to attend SQL Server Saturday. I'm happy to have the opportunity for the free training. Microsoft has not been here to offer us free training for several years. I attend local user group meetings here or in Baton Rouge occasionally when there is a topic I am interested in. My employer rarely will pay for training and it would be impossible right now, in the current economic climate, to ask them to pay for training.

I hope you enjoyed it. Patrick put on a fantastic event and I enjoyed it.

• jpowers (7/31/2009)

The main reason I don't go is that many are not local. If it is within a 60 mile radius of my home, then I can go. I don't have the time or money to fly to free events.

If you have a user group nearby, tell them you want a SQLSaturday. We'll try to help you get one close.

• Sarah B (7/31/2009)

I am from central Wisconsin, and the closest SQL Saturday event is in Iowa City. They will not pay for the travel, but I am considering paying for it myself.

Get in touch with user groups that are closer and ask the leaders to organize one. There is a lot of support nationally from speakers and sponsors, so it's not a huge effort for them to organize one.

• Jeff, there are a few MI people that do SQL. you ought to get the user group to run a SQL Saturday. The event in Baton Rouge ran smoothly, minimal vendor impact, but they see value, as do the attendees.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/steve_jones/archive/2009/08/03/looking-back-at-sqlsaturday-17-baton-rouge.aspx

• I've had my user group lunches and an upcoming saturday sponsored by a vendor. They have done the user group lunches for nearly two years now, never asked for any 'marketing' time except some giveaways which we are glad to do for them. One other vendor wanted time but understood it might not be a productive use of people's time when they are here, so he agreed to a mailing and giveaways. We can work with them, they do understand nowadays the difference between a learning and a marketing session.

• I loved the SQL Saturday I attended in Portland OR this year. So much so, I'm considering starting my own user group in my city (Eugene), about 2 hours away, just so we can have our own SQL Saturday next year.

I hope you'll be able to come, Steve.

• you'll have to ask Red Gate, but Eugene isn't too far away. Might be a nice trip. Spent some time there in 98 and enjoyed it.

• For the last two years I was fortunate enough to attend TechEd, but I think these types of events / trips are going to be few and far between for me over the next few years. So, in anticipation of this, I'm definitely interested in the SQLSaturday programs. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like an event has been in the Northeastern part of the US as of yet - maybe that will change sometime in the future 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply