Learn A Bit More

• rustroot1,

Don't know where you are in the Northeast, but Adam Machanic and his user group put on a PASS Community Connections event in the Boston area last January. It was similar to SQLSaturday.

• Dan, starting a group takes some work, but lots of fun too. Worth doing and doing a SQLSat is a great membership drive too.

As far as sponsors at user group meetings, just a matter of negotiating something that works for both sides. Some sponsors want to do an hour infomercial which doesn't work for me, but nothing wrong with it you know and your attendees know what to expect. For any non local speaker to come in ranges from $200 to $700 depending on airfare, hotel, rental car. Realistically to drop $500 you want 5-10 minutes to talk about what pays the bills and a chance to network before or afterward.

I've visited a few groups over the past couple years, and some try really hard to help me be successful without overdoing it, others seem oblivious and seem to expect that they just get a free speaker. All I can say is think about running a business and wanting to spend some marketing dollars, and then how much return you'd want. Just negotiate something that works on both sides.

• Jack Corbett (8/3/2009)

rustroot1,

Don't know where you are in the Northeast, but Adam Machanic and his user group put on a PASS Community Connections event in the Boston area last January. It was similar to SQLSaturday.

And, for those reading, stay tuned for the next one ... I've just about forgotten how painful/stressful it was to put everything together and am thinking about when to do it again 😀

--
    Adam Machanic
    whoisactive

• Gee none near the NY/NJ/PA metro area???

This could be nice, I'd make the weekend trip as a mini-vac if the distance wasn't that far and the site was in a nice area. My wife could play tourist during the conference (I got to do that on Cape Cod when she took in Photoshop World).

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• There is a NYC group run by Joe Lax.

http://nycsqlusergroup.com/default.aspx

Philly and New Jersey (http://njsql.org/Default.aspx) have groups as well.

• Thanks Jack and Adam! I'll keep my eyes opened for the next event, and if all is well at the office, I'll be sure to make it.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply