Knowing What You Don’t Know

• Eric M Russell wrote:

Sharing what we think we know with others (external validation) is a good way to learn what we didn't know before. Even the "resident SQL Server expert" in an IT organization may discover their knowledge base and point of view about certain topics are lacking when they step outside their day to day environment and start interacting with the broader IT community.

I learn a lot from my systems engineers (particularly SAN stuff) and they learn from me about SQL - so 100% agree, but we only seem to do it when something breaks 🙂

MVDBA

• That's not a shock really. But a little more sharing ahead of time, might, might, prevent some outages.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

That's not a shock really. But a little more sharing ahead of time, might, might, prevent some outages.

that would be a fantastic article... how we prevent outages..

I have a server consolidation project (to cut licencing costs) and I know there is new hardware, DNS fixes, code  changes, rollback plans, point of no return... but pulling all of those people together is starting to feel like the DBA job description.  question …. is the DBA becoming too much of a project manager? or is devops making the DBA assume that role? -

i'm going to re-read the phoenix project (for about the 5th time) and seek wisdom. 🙂

but I still have to plan for those outages and bang those heads together way earlier than people think

MVDBA

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

i'm going to re-read the phoenix project (for about the 5th time) and seek wisdom. 🙂

I need to get the Unicorn Project and read it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

I need to get the Unicorn Project and read it.

Santa clause bought me the last copy - it was delivered by the Easter bunny... sorry Grant, there is no unicorn.

MVDBA

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply