It’s Good to Eat Alone

• Andy Warren (8/8/2011)

Jack, do they have a reason for requiring the break?

Just that they want you to walk away from the computer to give yourself a break. It's funny because because the same isn't required of employees, just contractors/consultants. Most of the employees eat at their desks. They also don't want to be billed for your time on the internet since that's probably what you'd be doing during lunch.

• I do all of the above.

Most days I eat by myself, many days at my desk, sometimes reading newsletters, blogs or surfing the net. Occasionaly I'll participate in a a group lunch and some days I'll go solo and try a new resturant whe I fele the need to debrief. All of the above options have their own merit depending on the circunstances.

• It depends upon the client that I am at. If I can eat at my desk and leave earlier, then I am happy. My current contract requires a full one hour lunch. After about a week or so, I found myself just sort of wandering about. That is when I joined the gym across the street. Now I either go for a run or workout and then sit at my desk and eat my lunch by myself. I am enjoying the break in the middle of the day.

I had one client where the DBA group I was working in was a bunch of lunchtime runners. That was good for all of us. I guarantee that problems got solved while we were out running. Then we got members from other departments to join. It was time well spent.

• My wallet doesn't see enough benefit in eating out with others every day. 😛 Most people at my old job ate out or alone at their desk. It was rare to find people eating together in the break room. Now since I work at home mostly, I will eat out with others when I go in as time permits. However, since I work for a group that supports customers across North America, there are often conference calls over our lunch anyway so getting away long enough to sit and eat isn't that realistic most days.

I think eating out with others is most important when you are new to the job and you are trying to get a feel for your coworkers and the culture of the company. It's also good for big projects where there is a lot of additional teamwork required. On a day to day basis I just can't justify the cost over bringing my own lunch.

• Kenneth Wymore (8/15/2011)

On a day to day basis I just can't justify the cost over bringing my own lunch.

Where i am we bring our lunch and eat it together.Expecting people to buy food and join in is a little unfair to their needs, although i do know of companies and teams that expected that.

• dma-669038 (8/16/2011)

Kenneth Wymore (8/15/2011)

On a day to day basis I just can't justify the cost over bringing my own lunch.

Where i am we bring our lunch and eat it together.Expecting people to buy food and join in is a little unfair to their needs, although i do know of companies and teams that expected that.

Our break room there was not conducive to team lunches and most of the common areas were not well equipped for that either. So unless we booked a conference room, we had to take it offsite which meant spending money.

• Kenneth Wymore (8/16/2011)

dma-669038 (8/16/2011)

Kenneth Wymore (8/15/2011)

On a day to day basis I just can't justify the cost over bringing my own lunch

Our break room there was not conducive to team lunches and most of the common areas were not well equipped for that either. So unless we booked a conference room, we had to take it offsite which meant spending money.

That makes total sense.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply