It’s Good to Eat Alone

• I used to go out and eat alone sometimes, go out and eat with colleagues some times, stay in and eat alone sometimes, stay in and eat with colleagues sometimes (that last would usually be round a table in the office, not in an canteen or works cafeteria). Relatively frequencies depended on circumstances (like where I was working, how many people there were in teh workplace, and so on).

I never did any technical reading a lunchtime. I don't mind working long hours when it's needed, I don't mind working or reading technical stuff after dinner or before breakfast, I don't even mind skipping lunch to get on with work on the rare occassions when it's necessary; but if I take a lunch break I want to forget things technical and relax; when I was lunching alone, I would read either fiction or a non-technical newspaper, or take a walk, or go lie on the grass in the sun, or go into a pub and play pub games (things like shoveha'penny, pitch penny, bar billiards, devil among the taylors and so on) with the locals. When I was lunching with colleagues, we would play games (traditional pub games or things like crib, dominoes, or word games or whatever) and/or talk: conversation would usually be gossip about friends/acquantances/colleagues/PHBs and other burdens/news/films/music - anything but hardcore technical shop (except at one place where we used to take multi-hour lunches; much of that lunch time was spent roughing out system structure diagrams, bits of maths, and odd code fragments on beermats and table napkins, but that still left time for non-technical relaxation during that long lunch break).

Tom

• I tend to eat on my own at my desk and browse the web or read a book (never seem to get time at home to read books anymore). The main reasons are to keep costs down and to have a shorter break - this lets me get home to the kids that much sooner.

While I love to network I do find that lunch breaks end up that much longer (and cost more) - it is all time that has to be made up. Given the choice of playing footie (or whatever ) after work with the kids or having a longer luch break at work it is an easy choice to make.

The biggest thing I miss is that years ago the Friday lunchtime drinks used to be a big thing - nowadays this is somewhat frowned upon.

• There are not enough lunches in the week to do all the things I like to do.

-Eat with co-workers

-Eat with ex-co-workers

-Eat with friends (non-work related)

-Eat with family

-Run errands

-Make personal phone calls

-Do crossword puzzles

-Exercise (an hour walk can do wonders)

-Get some extra work done

I haven’t tried the power nap yet, but that does sound appealing.

• I have lots of Indian coworkers, including my boss. They like to start after 10 AM and have their lunch between 2 and 3 PM. That is too late for me.

With this schedule they like to have noon meetings. I often end up eating my lunch during a meeting.

• As much as I can, I try not to eat at my desk.

The main problem is that people see you online and don't kow you are working... or even the ones in the same office don't respect that it's your lunch hour.

So I long ago decided to avoid eating at my desk, unless I'm actually working (sadly, it happens quite often)

I think I have a healthy mix of eating with coworkers, so I can forge alliances. Eating with ex-coworkers, so I can keep up with what they are doing and see that the grass isn't always greener across the fence. And eating alone, either because I brought my lunch or because I just went to the sub shop.

When I eat alone I use it as a quiet time. Time to relax, clear my mind, read something relaxing...

On my old job I used to go for power walks when the weather wasn't so hot... it really helped with the relaxation.

• I'm one of those who prefer to eat lunch alone and disconnect from work. I find that occasional exchanges with co-workers at the coffee maker or water cooler provide plenty of networking opportunities, so I don't feel the need to lunch with them.

I take a short lunch (1/2 hour) so I can end my work day earlier and that's just enough time to read the newspaper and maybe do a crossword puzzle while I eat.

Greg

• Is online social networking considered eating "alone?"

I do like the point that it's important that your coworkers can differentiate you "taking a lunch break" from you just goofing off at your desk during the work day. Typically, I communicate this with a conspicuous display of food/trash on my desk during the lunch break.

• I've always eaten lunch at my desk while working and normally i use my 'lunch hour' running errands or doing something personal. So i'll run an errand and maybe pick up something to eat and have it while I run some process etc. So it nets me working my full 8 and having my breaks. If i'm invited to lunch and there is no big project, I'll go, but that's always 50/50 and all my co-workers fall into the same situation. So they know that hey you can't make it because you have to meet deadlines not because you don't like them.

The thing now is that i'm new at a place and all the old heads have lunch together a lot and I'm not usually invited, I would be offended except I'm always doing my own thing at lunch anyways and maybe they just notice that or maybe they don't like me or maybe they have some secret relationships going on 🙂 lol .

the funniest thing about eatting at your desk was this one guy at a place I worked would come over to you at 12 noon and see your chewing and proceed to discuss business. If I see someone eating I just say hey holla at me lata when you finish. :hehe:

• Our group of 15 people in IT just eat at our desks. When I lived 5 minutes from home 5 years ago, I would go home to play WoW.

With that said, when I was a noob I spent the first 2-3 years at my desk reading books practically each day in order to pass certifications. And also read books at night. Those days are over now, as I find that 3-5% of what I actually read is put to use at work. Decided that wasn't the life for me. Plus there is no benefits in getting certified here, and I don't plan to leave.

• I always eat out and read my daily paper during that hour. It's dedicated time that keeps me apprised of what's going on in the world.

• I eat alone most of the time but I also work from home most of the time. When I worked in the office I usually ate alone too. It was mainly to get work done or read through training sites uninterrupted. Sometimes I would read professional books as well but often I would read a novel just to give my brain a rest and allow me to recharge. I still do this sometimes while eating lunch at home although I find myself working through lunch more often than not.

• When I started at my current position lunch was provided as a benefit and the whole staff ate together in the cafeteria. Since that has been cut many of us have noticed a significant decrease in the feeling of teamwork across the company. It is valuable to me to spend non-work time with my internal customers. When I know them as people it is easier to serve them and meet their needs with a good attitude 😎

I like to get away from my desk for 1/2 an hour at lunch time. I bring my lunch almost always and eat with a group of co-workers (not all in IT) on the patio or in the lunchroom. We play a modified game of UNO which is very fast paced and competitive and really gets my mind off of work. Of course we visit and gossip and joke and cajole and whatever else seems to come up. I go out to eat once a week at the most. Sometimes on my own in conjunction with an errand and sometimes with co-workers or to meet friends or previous co-workers and catch up.

I find there are too many distractions to do any serious extended reading at my desk so I do that at home. I like to go for a brisk walk by myself when I am stuck, frustrated or have a headache - but that usually is not at lunch time.

• wware (8/3/2011)

Is online social networking considered eating "alone?"

I do like the point that it's important that your coworkers can differentiate you "taking a lunch break" from you just goofing off at your desk during the work day. Typically, I communicate this with a conspicuous display of food/trash on my desk during the lunch break.

Glad I'm not the only one who does that.

I find chilling and surfing the net for an hour at lunchtime refreshes me for the afternoon and breaks the day up. I get calls and interruptions from people all day, don't need to speak to them at lunchtime as well. Anyway, drinks after work are a much more enjoyable way of networking.

• So, here it is Friday, and I'm just getting around to reading Tuesday's newsletter...

James Stover (8/2/2011)

I usually eat alone because that's time I take to process challenges encountered in the morning and come up with afternoon solutions (hopefully).

James' comment describes what I have never been able to put into words. This is exactly why I like to stay at my desk through the lunch "half-hour". Thanks! I have to remember this.

• Jack, do they have a reason for requiring the break?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply