Is the MVP Worth It?

• Grant Fritchey (6/10/2010)

GilaMonster (6/10/2010)

Dan.Humphries (6/10/2010)

I do not activly seek such things but I am not sure you would be able to wipe the smile off my face with a sand blaster.

I recall grinning like an idiot for about three weeks.

I got in a little trouble at the insurance company for letting out a war whoop, leaping on top of the desk & dancing. For some reason, that upset people. I work with VERY dull individuals.

That would be a funny sight. I could imagine getting in trouble for doing that here. Quiet as a morgue.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Steve,

I see what you are saying but I think that argument can be made about alot of things. I know plenty of people with high level certification on one product or another that I would not let touch my server with a ten foot pole. I have worked with people in the past that went for every certification they could for the status of it but could not do something as basic as setup a user. IMHO I just feal it would be unfair to say that if a person would measure ultimate success by acheiving that award, I do not beleive that ambition necessarily is a bad thing. The scope of what they do to acheive that award should be wider than just blazee posting, going through the motions with no feeling, but If they truly put forth the effort and truly have that ambition then I do not see a negative.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/10/2010)

My ring looks surprisingly like one that came out of a cardboard box of sweet, corn based, treats :w00t:

Dan, I agree with you on one part. If you put in the work, you deserve the award. However I think that doing the work for the purpose of getting the award hurts everyone. Your insincerity will likely show through, and the community might not get a resource they can depend on, especially once you get the award. I could be wrong, but I think I've seen people jump in the community, and jump back out quickly.

A funny thing might happen though. Putting time into helping others in the community, working on the community, whatever your motivations, might just be something you find you enjoy.

I could imagine the cats, looking at this strange human, bewildered.

Learn Extended Events

My ring looks surprisingly like one that came out of a cardboard box of sweet, corn based, treats :w00t:

Dan, I agree with you on one part. If you put in the work, you deserve the award. However I think that doing the work for the purpose of getting the award hurts everyone. Your insincerity will likely show through, and the community might not get a resource they can depend on, especially once you get the award. I could be wrong, but I think I've seen people jump in the community, and jump back out quickly.

A funny thing might happen though. Putting time into helping others in the community, working on the community, whatever your motivations, might just be something you find you enjoy.

Mine looks surprisingly like the pop top from a can o' Budweiser.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I got my first MVP award in January 2004. The best thing about it was that I got to network with some interesting people - other MVPs and people at Microsoft.

The prospect of an award wasn't what made me want to contribute to newsgroups though. Nor was it necessarily a community spirit that drove me to do it. I started contributing because I found I could actually learn stuff by answering other people's questions. If you've had the satisfaction of figuring out something really challenging then you remember it. I got to solve problems that I might not have encountered in my day to day work. I got to know about other people's use cases and what problems they encountered. I also got to understand the way others are thinking about and solving those problems.

I don't learn much from answering questions in forums and newsgroups any more. That's not because I got smarter but because the questions got dumber. These days the smart folks Google for the answers, they don't ask the questions online. As a result the questions in most forums are very basic and uninteresting. The answers are occasionally interesting and there are still many knowledgeable people contributing to forums but rarely do I find challenging problems in fora and newsgroups any more. I'm more often left wondering how the questioner ever managed to get a position in IT at all!

So anyway I lost interest, my contributions to online communities gradually dwindled and I didn't get awarded after 2008.

• Dan.Humphries (6/10/2010)

James are you suggessting if Microsoft offered you MVP status in a few years you would not give a rats a** as you put it. I do not activly seek such things but I am not sure you would be able to wipe the smile off my face with a sand blaster. If you are concerned by the benefit MS gets are you also saying that certifications are in that same category. When you get a cert in Cisco for example no one gets any benefit from that except Cisco. and you set out with great intent and worked hard and spent money to get that cert. so I fail to see how that is any different than an MVP. Even if you set out with a mission to get the MVP status. If you have done the work you deserve the recognition and I am glad MS has a program to do that. So to all the MVP's out there Thank you for your service to the community.

It's a vendor-sanctioned award that has the feel of a marketing program - can't say that excites me so much. That probably makes me a poor candidate for the program 🙂

And regarding certs, I don't pursue them anymore because in the 12 years since my first cert, not one single employer or client has placed any value on certs. They care about my skills & experience. Therefore, this is what I care about.

James Stover, McDBA

• Grant Fritchey (6/10/2010)

GilaMonster (6/10/2010)

I do not activly seek such things but I am not sure you would be able to wipe the smile off my face with a sand blaster.

I got in a little trouble at the insurance company for letting out a war whoop, leaping on top of the desk & dancing. For some reason, that upset people. I work with VERY dull individuals.

Heh... I'm going to have to jab my mind's eye out on that one. :pinch: I just got this really live and frightning image of you doing that in your kilt. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (6/10/2010)

Heh... I'm going to have to jab my mind's eye out on that one. :pinch: I just got this really live and frightning image of you doing that in your kilt. 😛

With war paint and a hatchet in hand.

That's the Scary DBA.

Jeff Moden (6/10/2010)

With war paint and a hatchet in hand.

That's the Scary DBA.

Bleaching eyes now.

Learn Extended Events

• After reading through all the comments, I can clearly see that everyone want a MVP Award...even me 😀

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Jeff Moden (6/10/2010)

Grant Fritchey (6/10/2010)

GilaMonster (6/10/2010)

Yeah, that seemed to bother them too. I just don't understand why. I guess some people are uncomfortable with human anatomy.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply