Is the MVP Worth It?

• GilaMonster (6/9/2010)

Yes.

Personally I lurk on forums, write blog posts and articles and present because I enjoy it, not because I'm paying dues or trying for an award. I'd be doing it regardless.

Absolutely spot on.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• To answer the question of "Is the MVP Worth It?", the answer IMHO is absolutely "No". As someone previously noted on this thread, most good MVPs (and even some of the bad ones) spend more time trying to perfect their skills than someone pursuing an advanced degree. They do so for the love of the craft and a whole lot of them also spend a huge amount of time helping others learn the craft, as well. Sure, there are flies in the ointment as there are with any walk of life (I've interviewed a whole lot of people and it sometimes seems like more flies than ointment) but my observation is that most MVPs don't actually shoot for an MVP award... It just happens and most of them deserve the service award. I've also observed that a whole lot of them have a huge amount of knowledge that they readily share with the public free of charge. Are the MVP awards a marketing ploy on the part of MS? Who cares? In this day and age, it's nice to see hardworking folks be recognized and given a gift or two for their efforts even if they turn out to not be a "Ninja" in their elected craft.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (6/9/2010)

... it's nice to see hardworking folks be recognized and given a gift or two for their efforts even if they turn out to not be a "Ninja" in their elected craft.

I agree with that. If somebody works hard and shares what they know with others - it is nice to see them rewarded.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I don't know how much more money or anything else an MVP can make, I dont know how it make any difference.

But I am learning a lot and I am very happy to share what ever knowledge i have when people are in real need, that's what makes me happy.

Nag
    ------------------------------------------------
    How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Jeff Moden (6/9/2010)

James Stover (6/9/2010)

If I were to choose between putting in the hard yards for a MVP vs. MBA, I would absolutely go for the MBA. I also dare say there is more in it for Microsoft than for the individual. As an MVP, you are evangalizing their products to the world and - as Steve said - are paid little to nothing extra to do it. Not to mention the extremely valuable product and community feedback MS is spoon-fed through the MVP channel. It certainly would be interesting to know what value Microsoft places on their MVP's. Surely somewhere within the bowels of the MVP program, someone has worked out the tangible and/or intangible value of your typical MVP.

For me, there are countless better ways to "give back" than to support the product development & marketing efforts of a very profitable $60billion global company. Of course, I'm cynical about these things and as George Carlin once said: "Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist."

Looking forward to other opinions.

Heh... you've probably only identified just a couple of percent of the MVP's. Most don't engage in the "reindeer games" that some play because they're too busy doing what got them the award in the first place... helping people on the forums and at work. My personal observation is that most of the better MVPs that take part on this forum don't even carry the logo or the letters "MVP" in their signature lines nor do they knock their MVP rings when challenged or trying to make a point. They take the award just for what it is... a public service award and the award doesn't change a thing. They just keep on serving the public doing something they really like to do. It's just one of those "countless better ways" that you're apparently not aware of and it's a real shame that you would cheapen the incredible efforts of a whole group of very kind people because you've only observed a small percentage of the more verbose MVPs. 😉

I took the question to be if someone is actively seeking MVP status, rather than based on work they are already doing. Who gives a rat's a** if Microsoft awards you the MVP (other than MS, of course)? It certainly wasn't my intent to cheapen the efforts by people who are passionate about what they do. In my mind, someone who is purposely trying to achieve the MVP needs a reality check - because there's very little in it for them. Well, I suppose the MSDN/Technet subscription is worth something 🙂

James Stover, McDBA

• Jeff Moden (6/9/2010)

...nor do they knock their MVP rings...

Whoa! Hold on a sec... you got a ring? I didn't get a ring. If I had a ring it would be ALL completely different. That's it, I'm contacting my MVP rep. I want my ring and I want it now!

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• James Stover (6/10/2010)

I took the question to be if someone is actively seeking MVP status, rather than based on work they are already doing. Who gives a rat's a** if Microsoft awards you the MVP (other than MS, of course)? It certainly wasn't my intent to cheapen the efforts by people who are passionate about what they do. In my mind, someone who is purposely trying to achieve the MVP needs a reality check - because there's very little in it for them. Well, I suppose the MSDN/Technet subscription is worth something 🙂

Ah... I misunderstood you then. It sounded like you were attacking everyone who got the award. I apologize for reading it wrong. Heh... there goes my "read the email correctly" award. :blush:

Thanks for the feedback, James.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• James are you suggessting if Microsoft offered you MVP status in a few years you would not give a rats a** as you put it. I do not activly seek such things but I am not sure you would be able to wipe the smile off my face with a sand blaster. If you are concerned by the benefit MS gets are you also saying that certifications are in that same category. When you get a cert in Cisco for example no one gets any benefit from that except Cisco. and you set out with great intent and worked hard and spent money to get that cert. so I fail to see how that is any different than an MVP. Even if you set out with a mission to get the MVP status. If you have done the work you deserve the recognition and I am glad MS has a program to do that. So to all the MVP's out there Thank you for your service to the community.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• Grant Fritchey (6/10/2010)

Jeff Moden (6/9/2010)

Whoa! Hold on a sec... you got a ring? I didn't get a ring. If I had a ring it would be ALL completely different. That's it, I'm contacting my MVP rep. I want my ring and I want it now!

You guys get rings??? Well that changes my tune completely. I need a ring for each finger and it better be as cool as the Super Bowl ring.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Dan.Humphries (6/10/2010)

I do not activly seek such things but I am not sure you would be able to wipe the smile off my face with a sand blaster.

I recall grinning like an idiot for about three weeks.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/10/2010)

Dan.Humphries (6/10/2010)

I do not activly seek such things but I am not sure you would be able to wipe the smile off my face with a sand blaster.

I got in a little trouble at the insurance company for letting out a war whoop, leaping on top of the desk & dancing. For some reason, that upset people. I work with VERY dull individuals.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/10/2010)

Grant Fritchey (6/10/2010)

Jeff Moden (6/9/2010)

You guys get rings??? Well that changes my tune completely. I need a ring for each finger and it better be as cool as the Super Bowl ring.

Just don't mind that creepy guy in the background muttering .."one ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, and under its power, bind them"....:-D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (#4) (6/10/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (6/10/2010)

Grant Fritchey (6/10/2010)

Jeff Moden (6/9/2010)

Just don't mind that creepy guy in the background muttering .."one ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, and under its power, bind them"....:-D

Yeah, I just get in those moods sometimes.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• My ring looks surprisingly like one that came out of a cardboard box of sweet, corn based, treats :w00t:

Dan, I agree with you on one part. If you put in the work, you deserve the award. However I think that doing the work for the purpose of getting the award hurts everyone. Your insincerity will likely show through, and the community might not get a resource they can depend on, especially once you get the award. I could be wrong, but I think I've seen people jump in the community, and jump back out quickly.

A funny thing might happen though. Putting time into helping others in the community, working on the community, whatever your motivations, might just be something you find you enjoy.

• Grant Fritchey (6/10/2010)

GilaMonster (6/10/2010)

I got in a little trouble at the insurance company for letting out a war whoop, leaping on top of the desk & dancing. For some reason, that upset people. I work with VERY dull individuals.

I did my fair share of dancing and shouting but due to time zones I was at home when the mail came in, so only disturbed my cats.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply