Is PowerShell Intimidating?

• Alan.B (3/30/2016)

...The thing that KILLS me about PowerShell is how you declare a variable

$x = "ABC"

You turn off your computer, go on vacation, come back a week later, turn on your computer and you still have a variable, $x, with the value of "ABC". This makes me crazy. :crazy:

You haven't turned off your computer. Or even closed the PowerShell session. Unless you turned off your computer and the PowerShell session was on a different machine and then you are using the same session again.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I've used powershell to script out all the SQL Server Agent Jobs from a group of servers (approx 30 instances of SQL) but that is about it.

• Oh, I forgot, I've used it to do SAN based snapshot backups as well! 🙂

• I've had a good go at getting into Powershell. I thought it would be super useful for me as I look after in excess of 50 SQL instances. I'm guessing I've picked the wrong things to use it for though as it always ends up as a frustrating and usually fruitless search for answers on Google. For example, I wanted to check some settings in Local Security Policy on all SQL instances (AD Admin had trampled over settings with an incorrect GPO 😉 ). After several hours searching I determined that this was not something I could do using Powershell. :ermm:

In my humble opinion the best thing about Powershell are those wonderful moments in 'Getting Started with PowerShell 3.0 Jump Start' in MVA when Jason Helmick explains 'chihuhahas' and 'Binkies'. Real LOL moment! 😀

• Have yet to use it.

• Seriously, I can't think of any feature or aspect of ***x that could by any stretch of the imagination be described in any sense as "attractive." :sick:

(ESPECIALLY not that sodding penguin!!! :angry:) 😉

Yeah, OK … I'll get me coat … 🙂

• Actually there's folks at Microsoft that think PowerShell and cmd.exe are so bad, they ported Bash and Linux to run a real CLI on Windows!

😛

• I just wrote a script in PS that iterates through my databases on server X and gives me a lovely csv file of all the permissions on all the objects held by the registered users and usergroups. I can give this csv to anyone who wants this audit report.

I could have done the same thing in ssis, or even tsql, but since gaining some proficiency with the tool, i was able to steal code from other scripts and put this together fairly quickly.

Bottom line, doesn't really matter what tool one uses, as long as you understand what you're doing in it. If you just run random things you find on the .net, well, that's going to eventually bite one in the arse.

• chrisn-585491 (3/31/2016)

Actually there's folks at Microsoft that think PowerShell and cmd.exe are so bad, they ported Bash and Linux to run a real CLI on Windows!

Meh … whatever.

cmd.exe suits me fine for everything I need to do that isn't so easily possible (or at all) in the Windoze GUI.

I still write the occasional .bat .cmd file nowadays.

• Manic Star (3/31/2016)

I just wrote a script in PS that iterates through my databases on server X and gives me a lovely csv file of all the permissions on all the objects held by the registered users and usergroups. I can give this csv to anyone who wants this audit report.

I could have done the same thing in ssis, or even tsql, but since gaining some proficiency with the tool, i was able to steal code from other scripts and put this together fairly quickly.

Bottom line, doesn't really matter what tool one uses, as long as you understand what you're doing in it. If you just run random things you find on the .net, well, that's going to eventually bite one in the arse.

Cool. Care to attach that bad boy? I'd love to see it and seems like it would be really useful. It would also make for a great article. Give it a shot.

On the other subject, while I absolutely do agree that it doesn't matter to most people what tool you use for whatever, I have run into issues in the past where so many people had their fingers in the proverbial pot on a series of SSIS jobs that used scripts, etc, that it became a "Tower of Babel" that no one individual could even read never mind maintain.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I still write the occasional .bat .cmd file nowadays.

As do I, since not all clients understand or enable PS or any other advance scripting technology.

I'm so conflicted since there are now Windows folks that want me for both my Windows and Linux skills. Truly cats and dogs living together...

As do I, since not all clients understand or enable PS or any other advance scripting technology.

I'm so conflicted since there are now Windows folks that want me for both my Windows and Linux skills. Truly cats and dogs living together...

a sure sign of the apocalypse.

• Manic Star (3/31/2016)

chrisn-585491 (3/31/2016)

Is this the wrong time to mention Xenix??? :w00t:

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga (3/31/2016)

Manic Star (3/31/2016)

NT was based on VMS... :w00t:

I can't wait to run SQL Server on my Raspberry Pi 7!

Gary Varga (3/31/2016)

Manic Star (3/31/2016)

NT was based on VMS... :w00t:

I can't wait to run SQL Server on my Raspberry Pi 7!

Rather dated article but still interesting on NT's origins and what it got from VMS. Never knew Microsoft sort of cut a deal in leu of a lawsuit :w00t:

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-client/windows-nt-and-vms-rest-story

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply