Is It Possible to Join a Table-Valued Function w/Param To DB table

• If I have a TVF (Table Valued Function) that accepts a date as a parameter I can join it to a Regular DB table if the value passed into the TVF is a fixed date so I can either use GetDate() or I can assign a date to a variable and pass the variable into the TVF and it works. What I want to know is if it possible to pass to the TVF a date value from a field in a table previously joined in the query? I'm guessing that's not possible since at that point it's not a singular value being passed to the TVF but in case someone has found a way to do this kind of thing I'm asking that Q here.

I know below is not the complete set of code to re-create every table and teh TVF but I'm not allowed to share that code (NDA) and this is really just a theoretical question, I'm asking not how to do this for this specific query but if such a thing is possible at all.

Thanks

EX: The TVF udfWAM_UNIT_STATUS is being passed in the date from MM2WO.dtCall

FROM PROPERTY P Join UNIT U   ON P.hMy = U.hProperty
    Join MM2WO WO ON U.hmy = WO.hUnit
    JOIN dbo.udfWAM_UNIT_STATUS( Wo.dtCall ) USHC ON WO.hUnit = USHC.hUnit

• This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  YSLGuru.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  YSLGuru.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • why don't you try it? should be rather easy for you to set up a test case on your own instead of spending time asking if it is possible.

you even have a example already done so what was the outcome of executing that code?

and if you wish to know what happens to the value passed then create a simple function that returns the passed field back - could not be easier to test.

• Use CROSS APPLY instead of INNER JOIN

FROM PROPERTY P 
    INNER Join UNIT U
    ON P.hMy = U.hProperty
    INNER Join MM2WO WO
    ON U.hmy = WO.hUnit
    CROSS APPLY dbo.udfWAM_UNIT_STATUS(Wo.dtCall) USHC
    WHERE WO.hUnit = USHC.hUnit

• If I try to use what I showed it fails. I get an error on WO.dtCall, says multi-part identifier could not be bound.

Thanks

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • YSLGuru wrote:

If I try to use what I showed it fails. I get an error on WO.dtCall, says multi-part identifier could not be bound.

Thanks

Try this:

FROM PROPERTY P 
    INNER Join UNIT U
    ON P.hMy = U.hProperty
    INNER Join MM2WO WO
    ON U.hmy = WO.hUnit
    CROSS APPLY (SELECT *
    FROM dbo.udfWAM_UNIT_STATUS(Wo.dtCall) USHC
    WHERE WO.hUnit = USHC.hUnit) USHC
  • If your "TVF" has the word BEGIN in it, that'll make a world of hurt no matter how you're using it.  That would make it an mTVF (Multi-statement Table Valued Function), which is usually worse than a scalar function.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply