Install litespeed on SQL Cluster servers

• Hi , recently we configured SQL Server 2005 Cluster (Active and passive).

Now we need to install Litespeed for fast backups and encryption.

Just wondering whether we need to install in both active and passive servers.

• Not quite a question for the SQL Admins, as it really applies to an application, and your application vendor should be able to answer this. It just so happens I've worked on a site that used LiteSpeed.

You should only need to install it on the Active node as it adds stored procs to master. I do recall that there was some work that needed to be done on the Passive node, but we always failed over to the 2nd node to configure it.

Leo

Leo
    Nothing in life is ever so complicated that with a little work it can't be made more complicated.

• I would disagree with you, this is definitely a question for DBAs as I hope you don't leave the install of this or any other important tool to be used by the DBA in the hands of anyone other than the DBA.

I'm curious for an answer as well. I'm attempting to troubleshoot why the backup portion of a Litespeed based SQL Agent job succeeds on the cluster, but the delete of old backup files fails. I'm able to capture the xp_ that is run and then run it from another SQL instance with success, but on the cluster it fails to find any files meeting the criteria of the delete when run. Suspect it's corruption in the xp_ on the cluster and am planning on doing a reinstall of Litespedd if that is the case.

- Tim Ford, SQL Server MVPhttp://www.sqlcruise.comhttp://www.thesqlagentman.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/timothyford

• On clusters you need to install the software on all nodes within the cluster as it registers extended stored procedures, few registry keys and a number of DLL's to operate correctly.

From what I remember there is a section on the install that if it detects your running on a cluster it asks if you want it to install on the other nodes during the current installation, or if your running the install yourself.

I have always done the second install manually after failing over the instance, just my personal preference, that way I know its been installed while the instance is active on all nodes in the cluster.

I've moved on from the company where we used LiteSpeed, so I cant be a bit more specific as its been around a year now since I last used the product.

• Need to install on all nodes but at the time of registration just mention the server which you are using as of now.

----------
    Ashish

• make sure to do a failover on the other node and then test your backup job using LS (and vise versa)

• There is a document from Quest that addresses this. On a Windows Server 2008 operating system, you may need to RDP with the /admin option. On top of that, the installer uses the machine account of the node you're installing on. So you will need to add that node's machine account to the Administrators group on all the other nodes, otherwise you get an error about access being denied.

• Having just installed the latest version on several clusters - I can say that you have the option. I chose to run the installation on each node since trying to have the installation apply the MSI on the other cluster nodes sometimes fails.

To allow for install across all nodes, you have to provide a shared location where each node can access the installation media.

In the new version, on clusters - the extended procedures (Instance Configuration) is not run by the installer. You have to run this manually after all nodes have been installed. Once you have installed the binaries on all nodes - run the instance configuration which will install the extended procedures on all instances in the cluster.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply