Index Types

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Index Types

• It looks like the correct answer is incorrect :w00t: According to the explanation the correct answer is 10 but choosing that answer still results in "Sorry - you were wrong" and the Correct answer shows as "10, 12".

Cheers,

Haico

• Don't see how a one answer question has 2 answers. Should be 10.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• bad question! 10 is correct 12 could be correct... 10 and 12??!

• According to BOL there are ten types of index. Many people known it!

I think that people who know about CI/NCI types also know that they can be uniq/non uniq, BUT question has simple form !

On the other hand, if we talk about all possible type, then we should consider ALL "types" of index.. As you may know XML indexes are

-Primary

-Secondary

And secondary index type are

- for path

- for value

- for attributes

Are you agree ?

PS stupid question....

MS SQL 2008 MCITP x 3
    MS SQL 2012 MCSE x 2

• Hmm explain more please... Answered 10 but got it wrong. Gold told to refer to books on line, answer is 10 but here it says 10, 12 which is it ?

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

• Sorry - you were wrong

:w00t::exclamationmark:

10, 12

:ermm::sick::blink::crazy:

:pinch::doze::blush::rolleyes::hehe::laugh::smooooth:

• Not that I'm bitter about getting the question right but selecting the wrong answer 😉 but I reckon we could have a few more possible answers.

If we're saying that unique and includes could go with non-clustered and clustered then 8 could be a possible answer.

And if we take neprosto's very observant analysis of XML index types, then we could have secret answer 14!

I don't know how we get 12 though??? 🙂

• :w00t: Count(indextypes) isn't deterministic? 😛

• I don't mind getting answers wrong if you can learn from the mistake, however how are there 2 answers to what is surely a single answer question?

This is bad form..

• Until now, no one got this right, 63 attempted so far. 🙂

M&M

• This is totally an incorrect answer. According to the http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175049.aspx it shows the below 10 indexes:

1. Clustered

2. Nonclustered

3. Unique

4. Columnstore

5. Index with included columns

6. Index on computed columns

7. Filtered

8. Spatial

9. XML

10. Full-text

Unique, Included, Computed and Filtered indexes comes into either Clustered or Nonclustered index, if we see like that the count would come to 6.

A wrong question with a wrong answer.

Regards,
    Ravi.

• mohammed moinudheen (7/5/2012)

Until now, no one got this right, 63 attempted so far. 🙂

94 and counting!

I'll be impressed if anyone does!

• I was afraid I was gonna go down in flames on this one 'cause I didn't want to include a NULL index (i.e. heap) in the mix. Turns out I go down in flames 'cause twelve equals ten for large values of ten. (Poor eleven, completely left out, and it'll never get even!)

• Why is this a multiple choice question... The same question was asked about SQL 2008 R2 (http://www.sqlservercentral.com/questions/Indexing/69984/) back in 2010 and only one answer was available and the answer then was 8. They have now added ColumnStore and Index on Computed Columns, so adding the two records to get 10.

When the answer expects more than one value, and your answer comes down to an argument, I don't think it is a great question! So actually all the answers could be argued to be correct in some form!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply