Import multiple excel files in one go

• Hi all,

i have around 50+ excel spreadsheets with 1 sheet in each, the same headings but varying amounts of data from 1000 rows to 5000 plus.

is there a way to reference a file location and import all the data in that one tab for each spreadsheet into one table?

file names are different as well as the sheet name, eg
    Filename: Wed 18-10-2017.xlsx 
    Sheet: 18-10 data

i currently have to individually import 1 excel sheet at a time.  the first import created the table.  my second import i appended the data onto the table.  i dont want to do this 50+ times.

Many thanks in advance.

• For something like that, I'd typically use SSIS, with a Foreach Loop Container, such as described here:
    http://microsoft-ssis.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-to-configure-foreach-loop-file.html

I'm not quite sure about dealing with the different sheet names.  Is there some correlation between the file name and sheet name?  MAybe setup a variable with an expression such as:
    SUBSTRING(@[User::FileName], 5, 5) + " data"

• no correlation between filename and sheet name.
    is there a way to do it without SSIS method?

• How did you import that single spreadsheet, so far?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• If you wanted a pure TSQL solution, this should be possible using Openrowset to load in each spreadsheet. Create a table storing the filenames, another table to store the loaded spreadsheets, then loop through the filename table calling Openrowset to load each spreadsheet into the spreadsheet table. Unfortunately you would need to use dynamic SQL as Openrowset only works with fixed strings and does not allow the filename as a parameter. NOTE: this is not an ideal solution as it's using TSQL like a programming language instead of a data manipulation language. But it should get the job done.

• Maybe a solution in two steps.The Excel files are placed in an inbox. A VBA macro will open each file and save the sheet as a TAB sep text file. The macro to do that is easy to fix and is not depending on filenames or sheet names. If this is fine for you I can fix the macro. The text files are imported by TSQL an bulk insert.
    Thank you

• There's actually an easy way to read the tab names from a given spreadsheet file but I'd like an answer to my original question below so that I can make an informed recommendation.  In other words, what tools and methods are you currently using to import that one spreadsheet?

Jeff Moden - Sunday, November 5, 2017 3:21 PM

How did you import that single spreadsheet, so far?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• currently i import within SQL server management studio.
    right click the database name > task > Import
    this is done on an individual file basis.

• Talvin Singh - Tuesday, November 7, 2017 2:53 AM

currently i import within SQL server management studio.
    right click the database name > task > Import
    this is done on an individual file basis.

I have some references on how to do this without SSIS, VBA, PowerShell, etc, etc, etc.  You'll also need to install what are affectionately known as the "ACE Drivers".  Don't try to install those on your own.  There's a trick I need to show you for how to install them on 64 bit machines that also contain 32 bit applications... and I haven't found a box yet that is completely free of 32 bit applications.

I have a really full dance card over the next couple of days even in the evenings.  It'll take me a couple of days to get to this but, just to give you a heads up, this is all possible and can be done without sucking the nail off your thumb but it does take some initial setup.  Once setup, it becomes fairly easy.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Really appreciated.
    Last week I imported 30 files one by one, and each of those had a few tabs. Very time consuming and risky if I miss a tab or file.
    Enjoy and look forward to hearing from you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply