Image is Everything

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/13/2009)

Lend me a kilt and I'll put one one!!

Thanks for the note and I do appreciate the kind words. I'd wear the Gears of War shirt, but my middle son has appropriated it. Actually he's growing so much I noticed he took my BI Power Hour shirt from Tech Ed as well.

Hawaiian shirts are on Fridays, need to get one of those for the newsletter picture.

Assuming we both make it back to Seattle for PASS, I'll do better than that. I'll walk you down to the Utilikilt [/url]store. We might be able to get a deal on an overstock.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• My friend Margie, imports NATB (Not a Tommy Bahama) silk shirts from Bali and Singapore. Sells em for like 20$. Nice shirts.

• Got a web site? Could use some new shirts for Fridays

• No website. Though I should put some of her stuff online. She lives in Key West during the Winter and Minneapolis during the summer. Sells them all at various outlets and flea markets. I will call her and see if she will post some online. Her husband goes to places like Kohl's after the various seasonal rushes and buys up remaining store stock for very little, and shoots for selling it at huge discounts if the store managers are willing to make a deal. Mostly beach wear they can resell to tourists.

She designs dresses and then goes to Bali every fall and has some people there make them over the winter. Then they ship them back here and she sells them. They do batik designs on the cloth for her and then cut and sew the items. Though, I digress.

I posted the pics to my website. The shirts are a sort of heavier weight silk.

http://www.ThePsychicFriends.com/images/YellowShirt.jpg%5B/url%5D

http://www.ThePsychicFriends.com/images/BlueShirt.jpg%5B/url%5D

• I just saw our CEO (30,000+ employees) was wearing a hoodie and jeans today.

Guess I’m going to have to start dressing down.

• Michael Valentine Jones (1/14/2009)

I just saw our CEO (30,000+ employees) was wearing a hoodie and jeans today.

Do you work for Bill Belichek and the Patriots?

• Jack Corbett (1/14/2009)

Michael Valentine Jones (1/14/2009)

I just saw our CEO (30,000+ employees) was wearing a hoodie and jeans today.

Do you work for Bill Belichek and the Patriots?

Sure, I’m just posting here while my knee re-habilitates so I have a DBA job as a fallback in case that quarterback thing doesn’t work out.

• With the editor living in Denver and being a Broncos fan, that's a good way to get yourself banned!!;)

Glad to see the Patriots out of contention this year.

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/15/2009)

With the editor living in Denver and being a Broncos fan, that's a good way to get yourself banned!!;)

Glad to see the Patriots out of contention this year.

But the Broncos are out of it too, and they just stole the coach from the Pats because they want to be just like them:w00t:

• getting back to the topic at hand - for those of us more interested in Ave Maria (Rudy Galindo's 1997 figure skating routine which won him the US Mens Championship - and later the bronze at Worlds) than Hail Mary...

I worked for 6 months on a contract at Sprint, during the last months of a CEO who was a holdout from an earlier time

in conservative Overland Park Kansas there was no Friday casual

the men in the testing monitor department (believe me, the people there were highly skilled in Oracle - and API's and networking) so on Friday in warmer weather they wore Hawaiian shirts

• Steve,

Sorry I am so far behind on my reading, but the t-shirt question is a good tie-in (no pun intended, unfortunately) for another question. Have you ever fixed the water damage, appears to me as water damage anyway, in the wall behind you?

<><
    Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.

• I've been in IT for 25 years and worked at a lot of different place; both full time and contracted. Over those years, I've come to 2 conclusions:

1) IT managers who require a tie are generally (not always) trying to compensate for their lack of technical expertise. (i.e. I can't tell you to rebuild an index because I don't know what an index is, but I damn sure know what a tie is, so wear one!)

2) I'll wear what ever they tell me to as long as the paychecks keep coming. If they tell me to wear a tie, the paycheck better be big.

I met a contractor once that based his fee strictly on dress code. He got $300/hr. on one gig for wearing a 3 piece suit.

• I shall use this opportunity to post the famed Bursledon Consultants Dress Code. It's so quaint, I love to re-read it occasionally!

For me I would avoid a gig requiring full suit and tie these days, except on particular assignments etc. I do however have a different wardrobe for work - I am comfortable in a short sleeved shirt and 'smarter than jeans' legwear, although it is not required for my office and my boss often wears jeans.

• Although we all would like it if the way we do our work is the only thing that counts, research shows this isn't true. If your first impression isn't good, you will not get the chance to prove you can do the job. Having said that, I must admit that I, also, am not a suits person. I once worked for a company where suits were demanded, so I complied.

At the moment I am working for the same employer for more than 10 years. People know they can rely on my work, so it doesn't really matter how I show up. Sometimes, when I am in a silly mood, I wear a long sleeved shirt, tie, and a suit. More often I wear jeans and a T-shirt. In summer, I show up in a sleeveless shirt and shorts. More often than not, I didn't shave for the last three days. As long as I take showers regularly and wear clean, untorn clothes, my boss and coworkers do not mind.

On the other hand, when I have to teach T-SQL to customers, I dress up. I will not cut off my pony tail, though. My wife would kill me if I did that. My boss objects to my pony tail; every know and then, customers are shocked that I have a pony tail, but that is where I draw the line.

• Image is everything for sure, from how you dress, to how you conduct yourself in a business environment. But, I relate suit and tie work to salesmen and bankers who want to look the part. All else is irrelevant. I too will not be comfortable playing dress up for work daily, it's as if the main focus of the company is what you wear vs. "Wow, you solved all these problems..!" yes, neat is important, but dressy, blah.. PS. Most developers sit behind a computer all day and rarely move...:-D

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 335 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply