I Love the SQL Community

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item I Love the SQL Community

• Heh... now you're on it. And folks don't even have to hold office to do such a wonderful thing. Just show up. ๐Ÿ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Steve, I fully agree with you and I feel bad because I am no longer so involved in the SQL community anymore. My work keeps me so busy and I have been looking out for SQL events in South Africa but have not seen any. Gail had arranged something a while back and I don't know what happened with that. Also because I have not been able to do stuff in the community I might have missed it. Can anyone please tell me something is going on in SA and what I can do to join?:hehe::hehe::hehe:

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• Steve is the SQL community leader. I would say โ€œno sacrifice no victoryโ€. I am proud to be part of a SQL giant team.

I wish you all the best for you future success also.

Cheers,

Ayyappan Thangaraj

SQL Server BI Consultant

India

• Me too so much...................

Regards,
    Tatoba

• Aw, lookit all that sugar in that editorial. You so sweet! @=)

The community is definitely fantastic. It has helped me so much over the years. It's nice to be a part of something like this. There's a support factor you get with SQL Server that I haven't seen in other professions.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• A great mentor of mine once said "You will never learn as much by yourself as you will by listening and helping others". That is so true, and the SQLServerCentral.com website is an excellent example of that. ๐Ÿ˜€

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• Steve,

I feel the same way...it is an amazing group of people that are willing to share so much information and be friendly with all.

Couldn't imagine being apart from this group of people.

Thomas LeBlanc

twitter: @TheSmilingDBA

Thomas LeBlanc, MVP Data Platform Consultant

• I started out in the Oracle space and from that experience I was not expecting the level of help, niceness, and comraderie that Steve and the usual suspects, as well as the occasional contributor to SQLServerCentral has presented. Sometimes when it is all you know you do not know how special what you have is. This is a special place. Thanks to all.

<><
    Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.

• This site has made all the difference for me. Back in 2002, I found that SSC had the answers I needed as a new DBA. I was impressed that the owners Steve, Andy, and Brian answered lots of questions and made this a friendly environment. Newbies are nurtured here, and I think that set the tone for the SQL Server community more than the owners may have realized.

Social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook are also making an impact. We are getting to know each other on those sites before we meet in person at PASS or other events.

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
    Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
    Simple-Talk Editor

• Thanks for all the kind words. They show why this community is so great.

• Jeff Moden (8/28/2010)

Heh... now you're on it. And folks don't even have to hold office to do such a wonderful thing. Just show up. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Manie,

Consider creating your own events in the area if you can't find any. Also consider starting a user group in the area. Starting a user group is not that hard. Keeping it going is not that hard either, if you have interested people. You don't need big name presenters either.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I too am grateful for the community. I think the community is great.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I have to join in as well. This community is priceless. This is the first place I look when I need to find a solution to a problem. And quite honestly, this is the only technical website I visit regularly.

• Well said Steve. I could not agree more.

Steve, and all others who have contributed, thanks for all you have done to make the community what it is. The community would not be what it is today if it wasn't for people like you who did so much for bringing the community together.

As a PASS Chapter leader, I'd like to remind everyone not to forget/ignore the community in their own area. If you don't have a local user group then think about starting your own. I could not more proud of what we've done in Memphis and I'm even more proud to be part of it.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply