I got burned today at a SQL Server Interview!

• Jeff Moden (3/5/2008)

That's pretty much true, Matt... I'm amazed at what people think a DBA is supposed to do...

I kid you not, this mail was circulated around my site this morning, from the Group Security Chief (who works in a different office)

Following an incident last week where an intruder attempted to gain access into XYZ house, the following procedure is now to be followed:

The outer entrance door will be locked at 6.00pm when reception is vacated. Dave Jackson in Development on the second floor will have the key to the door. If staff from other departments are working late, they should contact Dave Jackson in order for the front door to be unlocked. Dave Jackson will secure the building and set the alarm system when he vacates the building.

Development? I'm a developer? :w00t:

I'm going to ask for a new business card, Database Manager and Doorman 😛

Dave J

http://glossopian.co.uk/
    "I don't know what I don't know."

• David, sounds like you finally got that promotion!

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• I used to throw something like that into my Email signature.

It looked something like:

Matthew Miller

Senior Software Architect, O.D.A.A.

myemail@mycompany.com

After I had been using it for a while, I got quizzed by HR what my new-fangled designation meant, they learned that it came from my job description: "Other Duties As Assigned" (what I was doing most of the time). They were not amused.....:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• O.D.A.A., Now that's a good one!

:w00t:

• Matt Miller (3/5/2008)

I used to throw something like that into my Email signature.

Matthew Miller

myemail@mycompany.com

After I had been using it for a while, I got quizzed by HR what my new-fangled designation meant, they learned that it came from my job description: "Other Duties As Assigned" (what I was doing most of the time). They were not amused.....:)

Can I use that? The O.D.A.A, I mean. I wish I could just do SQL Server, but where I am at there is Visual FoxPro (drives me nuts) and I do .NET which I actually only mind because I think that is the only thing changing faster than SQL Server.

• Jack Corbett (3/5/2008)

Matt Miller (3/5/2008)

Matthew Miller

myemail@mycompany.com

Can I use that? The O.D.A.A, I mean. I wish I could just do SQL Server, but where I am at there is Visual FoxPro (drives me nuts) and I do .NET which I actually only mind because I think that is the only thing changing faster than SQL Server.

Let's call that "open domain" - use it when or if you like:). Just let me know how long you get to keep that on your sig before someone asks you what it's for.....:hehe:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (3/5/2008)

Jack Corbett (3/5/2008)

Matt Miller (3/5/2008)

Matthew Miller

myemail@mycompany.com

Let's call that "open domain" - use it when or if you like:). Just let me know how long you get to keep that on your sig before someone asks you what it's for.....:hehe:

Excellent. Consider the timer started. I'll go send an email now to test the waters.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• It is amazing the things I have seen over the years fall under the ODAA out clause. :hehe:

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Hehe.

Recently an architect that I was working with put my title down as Database Overlord in a design doc he was working on. That was 3 weeks ago. We're still waiting for someone to notice.

On the subject of interviews, I've seen several really bad examples in the last year or so

A self-proclaimed optimisation guru that didn't know about profiler. I've seen several that don't know clustered vs nonclustered. Database developer that didn't know you could insert...select as well as insert...values. Senior administrators that don't know the types of backups or the differences between them.

Sometimes is frustrating.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Profiler?? What's that?!?! LOL Me, I just stare at the code and intimidate it into performing better! :w00t:

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Isn't a Profiler someone who works for the FBI or something and tries to "get into the head" of the criminal? You know like on Criminal Minds 😀

I don't need to intimidate my code, I always do it the best way the first time;)

I don't need to intimidate my code, I always do it the best way the first time;)

Oooo, them's fightin' words! You're asking for trouble making statements like that! 😀

Scott Duncan

MARCUS. Why dost thou laugh? It fits not with this hour.
    TITUS. Why, I have not another tear to shed;
    --Titus Andronicus, William Shakespeare

• Heh... maybe so but I like that attitude. Why is there always enough time to do it again but never enough time to do it right the first time? 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Mr. Corbett... keep that up an I may have to find some way to start a new company just so I can hire you!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I just wish the computer would do want I want, not what I tell it to do. It would be sooo much easier.

:w00t:

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 357 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply