I cannot finish COUNT (*) query on a table with more than billion records.

• hi,

I have a table in PRODUCTION server with more than a billion records. I am running the below query to check the exact number of records in it.

select count (*) from [dbo].[tbl_name] with (nolock). but the query is not completing.

The session_ID for the above query is blocking itself and the wait_type is CXPACKET, status : SUSPENDED

SQL server = 2012 (ent)

DB = 2005 (compatibility mode)

Question 2: i also need to archive this table but cannot find a suitable approach as it is very busy and takes ages for any process to run.

All help is appreciated

• With such a big table, you might want to use table partitioning for archiving purposes.

Regarding the question: there are alternatives to get the row count:

SQL Server–HOW-TO: quickly retrieve accurate row count for table

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• You can use COUNT_BIG(*) but it may take AGES to run ... getting the Row Count from the clustered index / heap might well be a better solution - unless you have a WHERE clause 🙁

EDIT: sorry, misread the question. COUNT() is good for 2,147,483,647 so no need for COUNT_BIG()

• Pretty easy to gets a count in big tables. Use sys.partitions, sys.tables and sys.allocation_units.

• tauseef.jan (9/15/2015)

hi,

I have a table in PRODUCTION server with more than a billion records. I am running the below query to check the exact number of records in it.

select count (*) from [dbo].[tbl_name] with (nolock). but the query is not completing.

The session_ID for the above query is blocking itself and the wait_type is CXPACKET, status : SUSPENDED

SQL server = 2012 (ent)

DB = 2005 (compatibility mode)

Question 2: i also need to archive this table but cannot find a suitable approach as it is very busy and takes ages for any process to run.

All help is appreciated

Quick question, is the table a heap or clustered index?

😎

• it is a indexed table.

• I like to use sp_spaceused with the table name.

That stored procedure uses dm_dp_partition_stats internally.

• tauseef.jan (9/16/2015)

it is a indexed table.

You have now a couple of useful suggestions. Did you try any of them?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Why not just check the rowcnt value in sys.sysindexes for the OBJECT_ID(tablename)

select max(rows) from sys.sysindexes where id = object_id('<table_name>')

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply