How to tell which is better?

• Hi All,

I have run two queries that are returning the same results which is good.

So I have run some stats to find out which is better in performance :

QUERY ONE

CPU time elapsed = 569ms

Execution time elapsed = 3562

QUERY TWO

CPU time elapsed = 1927ms

Execution time elapsed = 4112

However when I run the execution plan it shows when running both queries in the same batch.

QUERY ONE takes 66 percent of the batch cost

QUERY ONE takes 34 percent of the batch cost

Which data should I use to determine which query is better?

Thanks

Chris

----------------------------------------------
    Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley

:w00t:
    Posting Best Practices[/url]
    Numbers / Tally Tables[/url]

SQL-4-Life
  • generally the query which takes most % is less efficient. I rarely look at time when tuning, working on io as the most important measure. Once I've sorted the io I may look at time, but generally if you reduce io so time is also reduced.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• You should look at the number of scans and reads each one is doing. Time is nice & all, but for most queries, reducing scans or reads leads to reductions in times (not always, your mileage may vary, etc.).

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I tend to agree with Colin and Grant, but which is which in the batch %? You have Query One twice.

• If it's the "Estimated" Execution Plan... pay those percentages no mind... it "lies" because it will frequently miss things. For example, only the first pass of a triangular join in a sub-query is considered leaving out all the millions of internal rows that may actually be spawned.

If it's the "Actual" Execution Plan, it's pretty much faithful.

Just to add another opinion, I always consider duration as part of performance tuning... it's usually a pretty good indication as to the number of resources that will need to be consumed by the system, etc. Of course, you also have to consider what will happen to all of that when the scale of tables grows... code that takes a minute today may take hours tomorrow when the table reaches a tipping point. But I've found that, in most cases, when comparing two pieces of known working code, I've found that the one with the shorter duration is also the most effecient for resource consumption.

Ok... time to duck... here comes all the folks that will say "speed doesn't matter" 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Sorry about that.

Query one takes 66%

Query two takes 34%

thanks for the advice everyone

----------------------------------------------
    Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley

:w00t:
    Posting Best Practices[/url]
    Numbers / Tally Tables[/url]

SQL-4-Life
  • It is useless to compare queries like this.

Duration may vary up to 100 times and more between 'hot' and 'cold' execution. Cold execution is an execution after DBCC DROPCLEANBUFFERS or server restart.

So provide all values: CPU, Reads, Writes and Duration

• No... if you're talking about simple duration measurements, it's not useless... you've just gotta make sure they're either both "hot" or both "cold" 😛

But, in the face of blocking, looking a CPU time and the other measurements you suggested, are much, much better.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply