How to select from database passed as param without dynamic sql?

• Hi,

I have a scenerio were I have various stored proc's which handle inserts, updates etc on around 50 databases. At the moment I am passing the database name as a parameter and then doing the fobidden EXEC (@SQL) statement which executes the dynamic sql statement.

Is there any way of doing this without doing a dynamic sql statement?

e.g. SELECT ID FROM [databasename].[dbo].[Products]

Thanks
  • Yes you can! Have a go and you will see!

Kindest Regards,

• Hi,

I dont think I can do:

SELECT * FROM [@mydatabasename].[dbo].[Products]

Can I?

Ive been doing:

SELECT @SQL = 'SELECT * FROM ['+@mydatabasename+'].[dbo].[Products]'

?
  • If you truly need to pass in the db name as a parameter, the only way I know how is to use dynamic sql, either with EXEC or sp_executesql.

Can you tell us a little more about the need to use dynamic database names?  Does this change in production, or is it more environment driven, where by environment I mean DEV vs QA vs UAT vs PROD etc?

Scott Thornburg

Volt Information Sciences

• My apologies, I was refering to dynamic sql!

Kindest Regards,

• If it's a stored procedure and all activites are in one database only, then try removing 3 part (dbname.dbo.table) names from the procedure and using one part names (table) then just set the execution context. I'm assuming you presently say:

exec sp_procedure_name

after the above changes (if possible):

exec database_name..sp_procedure_name

The only fallout that I've found to this method is that some niladic functions will not work properly (return null values).

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• and adding to rudy_komacsar be aware that your procedure cache will contain numerous execution plans one per database + procedure name combination.

There may be a way to create a partitioned view solution but it will requeried a lot of recoding ( which you may not want )

you could also change database context with Use dbName 

but I don't know enough about your app

HTH

* Noel

• Unfortunately, you get an error trying the "Use" statement inside a stored procedure, so it looks to me like the only way to do it is via dynamic SQL (bleah).

• In the case the SP would have an OUTPUT ...

Any ideas how we could get it's value ,assuming SP call is done through dynamic sql?

• Not sure if will work for you,but try to call your SP as follow:

create procedure MainSp ( @PDBName nvarchar(20) )

AS

declare @ProcName nvarchar(20)

set @ProcName = @PDBName + '..YourSp'

exec @ProcName [parameters defined as normal]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply