how to replace uncounted multiple commas into one comma

• Phil Parkin (4/4/2009)

I like Ramesh's solution. Your first solution replaces all commas ... this is not the requirement.

Thanks Phil for supporting the only solution, till now.

--Ramesh

• Ramesh (4/4/2009)

Phil Parkin (4/4/2009)

I like Ramesh's solution. Your first solution replaces all commas ... this is not the requirement.

Easy for me to support the best. Unless someone can show that your method is sometimes problematic, this thread should be closed - your solution is elegant and does the job.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Ramesh (4/4/2009)

Phil Parkin (4/4/2009)

Uh, no. As far as I know, my solution works just fine and was the very first reply. and is much more general since it does not depend on knowing ahead of time which characters are in use.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (4/4/2009)

Ramesh (4/4/2009)

Phil Parkin (4/4/2009)

Uh, no. As far as I know, my solution works just fine and was the very first reply. and is much more general since it does not depend on knowing ahead of time which characters are in use.

My apologies Barry, I didn't see your solution.

After looking at your code and doing a little bit of math, I came to a conclusion that it does not work when the no. of consecutive commas are (7n - 1) where n is a multiple of 4.

Lets see it for n = 4, i.e. consecutive commas = 27

SELECT REPLACE( REPLACE( REPLACE( REPLACE( T, ',,,,,,,', ',' ), ',,,,,', ',' ), ',,,', ',' ), ',,', ',' ) AS BarryVersion,

REPLACE( REPLACE( REPLACE( REPLACE( T, ',,', 'Ñ,' ), ',Ñ', '' ), 'Ñ', '' ), ',,', ',' ) AS RameshVersion

FROM (

SELECT '01008,03072,0045,R' + REPLICATE( ',', 27 ) + '-17' AS T

UNION ALL

SELECT '01008,03072,0045,R' + REPLICATE( ',', 55 ) + '-17' AS T

UNION ALL

SELECT '01008,03072,0045,R' + REPLICATE( ',', 83 ) + '-17' AS T

) A

-- Math behind Barry''s solution for 27 consecutive commas

-- 7776 > 1116

-- 54 > 14

-- 32 > 12

-- 21 > 11 > 2

--Ramesh

• Barry,

Well, I know it can easily extended to the next or higher level by adding another REPLACE of 9 commas or even 11 commas, but I just wanted to let the OP and other posters to make note of it.

--Ramesh

• Ramesh (4/4/2009)

Barry,

Well, I know it can easily extended to the next or higher level by adding another REPLACE of 9 commas or even 11 commas, but I just wanted to let the OP and other posters to make note of it.

Good point. There is always an upper limit with this approach, however, since the OP problem clearly had an upper limit of 29, my solution should have worked up to 29. Sorry, I should have checked.

I believe that this is the most time & finger efficient solution to the OP's stated problem:

SELECT REPLACE( REPLACE( REPLACE( REPLACE( T, ',,,,', ',' ), ',,,', ',' ), ',,', ',' ), ',,', ',' )

And this time I did check and this solution is good up to 34, well beyond the OP's limit.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• vijays (4/4/2009)

Nice one, but frankly i m not satisfied with Mr. Ramesh answers, because i run and tried the query and found that sometimes it shows incorrect output. Sorry Boss...

Post the code that shows the exception.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Ramesh (4/4/2009)

vijays (4/4/2009)

Nice one, but frankly i m not satisfied with Mr. Ramesh answers, because i run and tried the query and found that sometimes it shows incorrect output. Sorry Boss...

Instead of throwing away my solution, Mr. Vijay, can you tell or even show us where does it fail? Or you can even show us another solution to the problem, if you have one?

I've seen this solution before, but with only 3 replaces. The problem with that is it can make the working operands grow larger than the original, possibly violating the max length of the data type. Your's has no such fault. You traded a tiny bit of speed with the extra REPLACE for absolute data integrity and it has virtually no limits. Very, very nicely done.

My only suggestion is that the character you chose could actually show up in things that people type (anything could show up in things that are generated by computer)... just to decrease the odds of using a character that appears in the original text, you may want to use a "non-printable" character... perhaps something like CHAR(1).

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• RBarryYoung (4/1/2009)

Good job, Phil. For some reason I thought that SQL Replace() didn't rescan its replacements. Hmm, must be getting my languages mixed up. 🙁

Hi RBarryYoung,

you were right!! SQL do NOT rescan its replacement!

Actually the Phil Parkin's code replace ',,' with '' (empty string) and NOT with ',' (single comma)... and this is the reason why that code works only with an odd number of commas (as Ramesh Saive said!).

Bye,

Flavio.

EDIT: SORRY to all! I've seen only page 1 of this thread and didn't see that you already said this! Sorry again! Bye, Flavio.

• Nested REPLACE works just fine:

print 'Load Test data with all strings of Commas from 1 to 8000'

select

NUMBER,

Commas = convert(varchar(8000),replicate(',',NUMBER))

into

#t

from

-- Number Table Function available here:

-- http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47685

F_TABLE_NUMBER_RANGE(1,8000)

order by

NUMBER

go

print 'Test Replaces'

select

from

(

select

NUMBER,

Commas =

replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(Commas

,',,,,,,,,,,',',')

,',,,,,,,,,,',',')

,',,,,,,,,,,',',')

,',,',',')

,',,',',')

,',,',',')

,',,',',')

from

#t

) a

where

Commas <> ','

order by

NUMBER

go

drop table #t

Results:

Load Test data with all strings of Commas from 1 to 8000

(8000 row(s) affected)

Test Replaces

NUMBER Commas

----------- -------------------------------------

(0 row(s) affected)

• RBarryYoung (4/4/2009)

Ramesh (4/4/2009)

Barry,

Good point. There is always an upper limit with this approach, however, since the OP problem clearly had an upper limit of 29, my solution should have worked up to 29. Sorry, I should have checked.

I believe that this is the most time & finger efficient solution to the OP's stated problem:

SELECT REPLACE( REPLACE( REPLACE( REPLACE( T, ',,,,', ',' ), ',,,', ',' ), ',,', ',' ), ',,', ',' )

And this time I did check and this solution is good up to 34, well beyond the OP's limit.

It gets much better than a mere 34 with only two more REPLACEs, and it's darned fast too:

SELECT RowID,

CommaString,

CommasFound = DATALENGTH(CommaString),

Result,

CommasLeft = DATALENGTH(Result)

FROM (

SELECT RowID, CommaString,

Result = REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(CommaString, ',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,', ','), ',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,', ','), ',,,,,,,,', ','), ',,,,', ','), ',,,', ','), ',,', ',')

FROM (

SELECT d.RowID, CommaString = REPLICATE(CAST(',' AS VARCHAR(MAX)), d.RowID)

FROM (

SELECT TOP 12000 RowID = ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY a.NAME)

FROM master.sys.all_columns a, master.sys.all_columns b

) d

) s

) r

WHERE DATALENGTH(Result) > 1

-- 4 REPLACEs (max 8 commas replaced with 1): fails at 39

-- 5 REPLACEs (max 16 commas replaced with 1): fails at 399

-- 6 REPLACEs (max 32 commas replaced with 1): fails at 11807

Cheers

ChrisM

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Hi,

declare @a varchar(50), @b-2 varchar(50)

Set @a = '01008,03072,0045,R,,,,,,,,,-17'

Set @b-2 = replace(@a, ',,', '')

I have run it is returning single comma (,). In between 'R' and '-17' have odd numer of comma (i.e. 9 times). If it is even number of comma (like 10 or 8 times)then please help me how i will get the same result.

Set @a = '01008,03072,0045,R,,,,,,,,,,-17'

Thanks & Regards,

-Prabir

• I have a simple way to remove multiple commas in the whole string.Here is the simple one to suffice all the below cases:

1> Removing multiple commas in starting of the string

2> Removing multiple commas at the end of the string

3> Removing multiple commas to single comma in the middle of the string

select REGEXP_REPLACE(REGEXP_REPLACE(',,LE,,EN,,A,,,','^,*|,*$',''),',{1,}', ', ')

output :

LE, EN, A

• Leena Chittivelu wrote:

I have a simple way to remove multiple commas in the whole string.Here is the simple one to suffice all the below cases:

1> Removing multiple commas in starting of the string

2> Removing multiple commas at the end of the string

3> Removing multiple commas to single comma in the middle of the string

select REGEXP_REPLACE(REGEXP_REPLACE(',,LE,,EN,,A,,,','^,*|,*$',''),',{1,}', ', ')

output :

LE, EN, A

Hello and welcome to the forum.

As far as I know, REGEXP_REPLACE() is not a valid SQL Server function.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• In 2016+ it could be done like this

drop function if exists dbo.fnCommaOnce;
    go
    create function dbo.fnCommaOnce(
    @comma_str varchar(100))
    returns table as
    return
    with exp_str(n, t) as (
    select n,
    substring(@comma_str, n, 1)
    from
    dbo.fnTally(1, len(@comma_str))
    where not
    (substring(@comma_str, n, 1)=','
    and substring(@comma_str, n, 1)=substring(@comma_str, n+1, 1)))
    select
    string_agg(t, '') within group (order by n) CommaOnce
    from
    exp_str;
    go

;with comma_cte(t) as (
    /* odd no. of consecutive commas */
    select '01008,03072,0045,r,,,,,,,,,-17' union all
    /* even no. of consecutive commas */
    select '01008,03072,0045,r,,,,,,,,,,-17' union all
    /* mix even/odd no. of consecutive commas */
    select '01008,,03072,,,0045,r,-17'union all
    /* no consecutive commas */
    select '01008,03072,0045,r,-17')
    select *
    from
    comma_cte cc
    cross apply
    dbo.fnCommaOnce(cc.t) f;

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  Steve Collins. Reason: Added within group order by

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply