How to pass a Microsoft certification [70-432]

• I am planning to take up this certification .Can you guys please tell me how to clear this certification?

That is how is the test is evaluated and what is the pass marks for the test.

• Not to be trite, but study and practice. I have a blog post where I talk about my experience and preparation for taking this test. I took and passed the test 2 weeks ago.

You can see the notes about the exam at the Microsoft Learning site for the test

• Thanks Jack for your inputs. WIll follow whatever you blogged.

1 question though.. Is there any passing % for this test?

I mean how many question should i answer correctly to pass this?

• If you look at the exam description and the skills measured it tells you how the areas are weighted so there is not a specific get 1 wrong you got a 95, it depends on the area the question(s) you missed is in.

• The pass mark is 700. The number of questions varies and there's no way to tell how the questions are scored.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I have yet to take the 70-432 but I passed the 70-431 (SQL 2005) some years back. If it's anything like that exam, it will have a simulation along with several multiple choice questions. You most likely be under surveillance the entire time and will only be provided with an erasable felt pen and a calculator.

• Tim Weintz (3/17/2010)

You most likely be under surveillance the entire time and will only be provided with an erasable felt pen and a calculator.

Excluding the calculator, that's standard exam centre rules. All you should get is a dry-erasable sheet and a pen. The exam software provides a calculator.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • The two local centers I've used in Denver give me 2-3 sheets of blank paper and a pencil. After the exam I have to turn the paper and pencil back in. Well, not necessarily the pencil. I think I walked out with one.

You have no access to BOL, the Internet, and I have had to leave my cell phone with the proctor. You are typically under camera view the whole time.

As Jack mentioned, don't worry about the score, the questions, the passing. Study and practice. You need to take the whole test, so all you can do is do your best.

• I can certainly understand not having any access to the internet during an exam... but not having access to BOL doesn't seem right to me. It's a tool (a very dear one to me) that COMES WITH SQL SERVER and it's use should be allowed. Half the time, it's not knowing what the precise syntax or selection is, but where to find it when you need it. Save brainless, rote memorization for spelling B's. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (3/17/2010)

I can certainly understand not having any access to the internet during an exam... but not having access to BOL doesn't seem right to me. It's a tool (a very dear one to me) that COMES WITH SQL SERVER and it's use should be allowed. Half the time, it's not knowing what the precise syntax or selection is, but where to find it when you need it. Save brainless, rote memorization for spelling B's. 😉

Jeff,

There really isn't much memorization required, at least not for the 2 exams I've taken. I ahve taken and passed 70-432 and 70-450 which are the DBA exams so there isn't a lot of syntax in there. It's more scenarios and you need to choose the correct design or options to best fill the requirements of the scenario, like choosing between clustering, log-shipping, mirroring for a high availablity solution.

You don't necessarily have to know what a processor affinity setting of 2 is.

• I agree that some of the memorization type questions are a bit silly. I have the MCITP: Database Developer, MCITP: Database Administrator, and the pre-req MCTS. There were some questions which expected me to remember if the name of a dmv reads stats or statistics, for instance. But I didn't even study for the administrator exams and I passed the final two on the same day. If you know what you are doing and have the experience MS recommends before taking these exams, you can afford to miss the <10% of questions which are silly. (And if you know that of the 4 choices it's either stats or statistics, you still have a 50/50 shot, even on the silly questions.) Also, if you are really doing it every day, you probably will remember the correct answer, anyway... However, if you are struggling to get by, these questions may make you fail, which is a good thing, IMO, considering all of the brain dumps and cheating flooding the market with incompetent fools.

• Jeff,

I completely agree with you. The Cert test ought to be HARD, I mean very hard, like how do I fix xxx when it's broken, or a complete simulation where you actually fix X.

And we ought to have Google, BOL, etc. available as the tools we use to work with the product.

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/18/2010)

Jeff,

I completely agree with you. The Cert test ought to be HARD, I mean very hard, like how do I fix xxx when it's broken, or a complete simulation where you actually fix X.

And we ought to have Google, BOL, etc. available as the tools we use to work with the product.

I like this idea. I wonder if this is how the MCM is being conducted.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Guys

One more question.. What if i fail the first time?

Do i need to pay double the exam fees when i take the exam next time?

Is there any waiting period before i am eligible for the second attempt?

what are the guidelines?

• Right now Microsoft is offering a second-shot promotion where, if you register using the code, you get a second shot at the exam for free. Check out the Microsoft Learning site for the promotion and for details about re-takes and the exams.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply