How to find out next business day

• Hi everyone, I have a cursor to determine when is the next business day but I don't want to keep using it. I have a table that has all my holidays and I ask if the date is not saturday or sunday using:

datepart(weekday, @nfecha) in (7,1)

so if the date which I want to know the next business day is saturday or sunday or is in my holidays table, I add a day to it, until it is not a weekend or is not in my holidays table. Then I get the next record and do the same thing.

Any ideas????? or suggestions??? Any ideas are welcomed.

• Assuming you have a calendar table with all dates in it:

select

NextBusinessDay = min(a.MyDate)

from

MyDateTable a

where

a.MyDate > @MyStartDateand

a.MyDayOfWeek not in ('Saturday','Sunday')and

a.MyHolidayIndicator <> 1

If you need to load a calendar table, this code on this link will give you a good start:

Date Table Function F_TABLE_DATE

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61519

• Saw this thread and just wanted to make a note... recursion is at least as bad as a well formed cursor. Michael's post above is absolutely the way to go. You may or may not want to make a Calendar table that's quite as wide as a lot of people do, but having a Calendar table of some form is definitely the way to go.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Calendar table, definitely.

For second best, something like this should do:

;with

Numbers (Number) as

(select top 7 row_number() over (order by object_id)

from sys.all_objects)

Week (Date) as

(select dateadd(day, Number, getdate())

from Numbers)

select min(Date)

from Week

where datepart(weekday, Date) not in (1,7)

and Date not in

(select Holiday

from dbo.MyHolidaysTable);

That will work (assuming you have a table of holidays, which you seem to have). Won't be as efficient as a Calendar table, but will be better than a cursor or recursive solution.

Note that this version suffers from the possibility that the server doesn't treat Sunday as the first day of the week. If that's the case, the Where clause will have to be modified.

Calendar table is best. Has a ton of other uses too. Very handy.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply